Re: Catch-up mode?

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2008
      Jeremy,

      There is a feature to upload data from the console when WUHU is
      started. It has not been release as it has not been tested
      thoroughly. If you want to test it, send me an email.

      This would solve the problem when WUHU is not running. If WUHU is
      running but cannot access the Internet this feature would not solve
      the problem. You could shutdown WUHU when you lose the Internet to
      minimize data loss.

      In hindsight, 'catch-up' mode is a feature that should have been
      built in from the start. I would need to re-write large portions of
      the program to make that possible.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeremy" <jeremy8264@...>
      wrote:

      > I did some quick searching but didn't see anything relevant. I've
      got
      > a WS-2308 that I'm using with wuhu in order to upload my data to
      WU.
      > I've had a few occasions where the Internet connection has gone
      down
      > (router frozen, ISP down, etc) and therefore it can not upload
      updates
      > for a period of time. The wuhu software obviously has those updates
      > since it never lost contact with the weather station.
      >
      > Would it be possible to have it upload any pending updates upon a
      > reconnect? I don't know if WU allows historic uploads or not
      (didn't
      > see any reference in the positive nor negative sense) but right now
      it
      > just leaves an ugly gap in the data. Since the original updates
      would
      > have been timestamped as normal, it would make sense to me to queue
      up
      > any failures and re-send them once the connection is restored. That
      > way we aren't "throwing away" any perfectly valid data.
      >
      > One instance where this could be valuable would be during localized
      > storms. Say for example a storm came through my area and the
      leading
      > edge of it knocked power out for 30 minutes. My UPS on my PC and
      (due
      > to proximity) my weather station would be more than ample to hold
      the
      > system during that period. It would be happily collecting its data
      > and passing it along to Wuhu. Wuhu would attempt to send it and get
      > an error since the power outtage may have taken out the cable modem
      > node that is up on a utility pole a block down the road with no
      UPS.