Re: LaCrosse 2300 and WUHU frustrations

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 27, 2008
      Syd,

      There is another virtual serial port driver out there for Windows
      called N8VBvCom. It is available for download here:

      http://www.softwx.com/downloads.html

      Virtual VP uses this driver to allow multiple software packages to
      connect to a Davis VP2 at the same time. So far it has worked well.
      Virtual VP can communication with both the USB to serial driver
      supplied by Davis (Silab CP210x) or it can communicate directly via
      the real serial ports.

      I am pretty sure that you would need to have a traffic cop
      application like Virtual VP in order to have multiple software
      packages access the console directly. This is probably doable with
      the WS-23XX series, but much more difficult with the WS-36XX series
      as it using handshake lines rather than normal serial character based
      communication.

      Rather than having multiple applications access the serial port, what
      you can do is configure WUHU to output the currdat.lst file then have
      other applications monitor that file for changes. I know you can do
      this with Virtual Weather Station (VWS) and probably Weather Display
      as well. This method of importing data is called File Monitoring
      Mode. Any weather application that supports the currdat.lst file
      format should work.

      Alternatively, you could also use a template to create whatever type
      of comma separated values file you want, assuming the other
      applications could make use of it.

      What would be nice is a standard file format for all weather station
      software to support, for example using an XML file. If this were the
      case, we would not need to write special applications to act as
      traffic cop. One application could gather the data and the rest could
      monitor the XML file for changes. That is probably a bit of a pipe
      dream as standards are difficult to manage and there is probably not
      much of an interest for implementing it.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Syd" <sydkahn@...> wrote:

      > I have a serial USB cable with Prolific Drivers - got it here
      > http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8580
      >
      > I have all kinds of problems with this cable s drivers and
      WindowsXP -
      > Lots of usb ports on that PC - it gets plugged into whatever is
      open so
      > the driver is instantiated on lots of virtual ports. Eventually the
      > system just hard re-boots. So I had to move the weather station to
      > another computer with rs232 port and it works swimmingly there. I
      > suggest that you invest in PCI serial cards - i got some on ebay
      3.33
      > each http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270230113793
      >

      > My next project is to get the virtual HUB @
      > http://com0com.sourceforge.net/ to allow various software to get at
      the
      > weather station at the same time. Would also be kewl to get the
      com2tcp
      > to sed the data off to around local network.
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Karl Kingston
      <kkingsto@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Works fine under Vista Home Premium here.
      > >
      > > Some people have reported issues with certain USB serial
      adapters.
      > You
      > > might want to see if you have any updated drivers for yours.
      > >

      > > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, crashertoo wrote:
      > >
      > > > Actually, if someone does have a method of running WUHU on
      Vista,
> [...]
      > but
      > > > that never results in a stable wuhu. Messages to LaCrosse
      remain
      > > > entirely unanswered. WUHU itself appears to be very dated
      software.
      > > > I am amazed there is no update to what must be a fairly simple
      > program.
      > > >
      > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "M. A.P" m_a_p@

      > > > you're using USB), with a Comm Port > 4 - means you won't be
      able to
      > > > receive the history form the console (/w HW), but it might fix
      the
      > PC
      > > > lock-up

      > > > 13:41:49 +0000Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: LaCrosse 2300
      and
      > > > WUHU frustrations

      > > > rash of problems with those lately.If possible, add a PCI serial
      > > > card.Since you are running Vista, I cannot make any
      recommendation
      > on
      > > > a USB to serial adapter. If it were me, I would try the IOGear
      as
      > they
      > > > have performed in the past.If you are not using a USB to serial
      > > > adapter, let me know.--- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com,
      > > > "Richard Mills" <me@> wrote:>> Hi All,> > I've only just got
      into
      > this
      > > > weather station business, having wanted > to for a number of
      years
      > and
      > > > I'm experiencing some issues. I'm > running Heavy Weather BETA
      2.0,
      > > > WUHU 2.16 and Vista Ultimate on a > half decent PC. My problems
      are
      > as
      > > > follows.> > If I let WUHU get the weather info from HW, then
      > sometimes
      > > > it will > lose the connection for no apparent reason, and when
      this
      > > > happens it > doesn't upload the missing data to my wunderground
      > > > station.> > I've tried it with the direct connection option, but
      > that
      > > > just locks > the pc up after a couple of hours and I have to
      reboot
      > > > the whole > thing.> > What seems odd to me is that I can't see
      a way
      > > > of uploading the info > directly from the history file, making
      it a
      > > > whole lot easier, and > ensuring it can fill in the blanks. Am I
      > just
      > > > missing something > fundamental to it.> > I do see that I could
      > write
      > > > some actions if it loses the connection, > but has anybody got
      any
      > > > good ideas on this? I want to automate > things so that if
      things
      > fail
      > > > it can sort itself out without me > having to do anything.> >
      Any
      > > > thoughts on how other use it, or better options would be >
      > > > appreciated.> > Cheers> R.>

      > > > copies. Learn how.
      > > >>

      > hthttp://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?
      ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Re\