Re: [wuhu_software_group] More lightening

  • John Wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3 2:51 PM
      I also lost rain readings on my 2310 once. The bucket
      is OK, the reed relay in the bucket housing was OK,
      wires were OK to the RJ connector on the remote unit
      was OK. I connected directly to the connections on the
      PC board of the temp/hygro and thre were no
      indications of rain recording.

      The main chip on the unit is buried under epoxy. I
      traced the two lines from the RJ connector to where
      they converged into the chip....scraped through the
      solder mask (that green coating) to expose the trace
      and found there to be no connection to the RJ-11!

      Somehow the traces were open (in two places, it turns
      out). I soldered jumpers around the failure points and
      all is up and OK again. There were no "burnt" marks on
      the board...it appears that the trace etching on my
      unit was subject to specks of dust/dirt or the
      negative was scratched...leaving a very thin trace in
      two spots.

      Something to look into, if you wish a try to repair
      the unit you have.
      Good Luck.
      John

    • RS Moreland
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5 4:28 AM
        John,
        Thanks for the reply.
        I'll it a look as soon as I can. Can't make it any worst by trying.
        Regards, Bob

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Wilson
        <radiowilson@...> wrote:

        > I also lost rain readings on my 2310 once. The bucket
        > is OK, the reed relay in the bucket housing was OK,
        > wires were OK to the RJ connector on the remote unit
        > was OK. I connected directly to the connections on the
        > PC board of the temp/hygro and thre were no
        > indications of rain recording.
        >
        > The main chip on the unit is buried under epoxy. I
        > traced the two lines from the RJ connector to where
        > they converged into the chip....scraped through the
        > solder mask (that green coating) to expose the trace
        > and found there to be no connection to the RJ-11!
        >
        > Somehow the traces were open (in two places, it turns
        > out). I soldered jumpers around the failure points and
        > all is up and OK again. There were no "burnt" marks on
        > the board...it appears that the trace etching on my
        > unit was subject to specks of dust/dirt or the
        > negative was scratched...leaving a very thin trace in
        > two spots.
        >
        > Something to look into, if you wish a try to repair
        > the unit you have.
        > Good Luck.
        > John

        Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.