Re: New to WUHU... have a few problems.

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
      Paul,

      Welcome to the group.

      I believe WU is having some issue with the stickers/rapid fire as
      others have reported similar problems as well. Viewing your link, it
      appears to work for a bit, then it said the last update was 11
      minutes ago.

      As far as the game lockup, it is difficult to say. We have seen
      problems with some USB to serial adapters that can hard-lock your
      machine. Are you using a USB to serial adapter?

      Thanks.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "pmillerusa"
      <pmillerusa@...> wrote:

      > Hi all... I am an amateur astronomer and have recently started
      tracking
      > local weather for my own purposes (predictive seeing, high altitude
      > moisture and cloud cover for astrophotography etc) . When I found
      WUHU I
      > was relieved to see a tool that replaces/compliments the Heavy
      Weather
      > software my station it came with.
      >

      > I have a La Crosse WS-2316 that is operating well.
      >

      > I was able to get WUHU setup without issue and tried it both in
      normal
      > and direct serial mode. Since they both seemed to work as expected,
      I am
      > using direct serial to have one less process running on the PC.
      >

      > I am having two problems (it think) -
      >

      > 1. When I created the station in Weather Underground, everything
      > appeared normal and the "rapid fire" feature seemed to be doing
      > its thing. I had an icon on the map that was accurate to my
      location. I
      > was able to see current data refreshing in this graphic that is now
      > static…
      >

      > http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
      ID=KCALEON\
      > A3
      > <http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
      ID=KCALEO\
      > NA3>
      >

      > It reports updated NaN seconds ago (it did read 53 seconds, 3
      minutes
      > etc last night)
      >

      > Also, the map no longer has me listed. I know WU says that they will
      > take the station off the "list" if the data isn't current,
      > but I think it is… I've tried to update the station and change
      > the LAT/LON to verify and it's accurate.
      >

      > All of the station updates are coming through and the data seems to
      be
      > accurate. Is there any reason (or difference) between the charts
      and the
      > rapid fire graphic/sticker?
      >

      > 1. When using some other programs (particularly when my son was
      > playing a game), it froze the PC to the point it needed a hard
      boot. I
      > was able to stop the updates and
      >

      > The easy answer is to have WUHU on another PC (probably the right
      > answer), but I also was hoping for any detail beyond the local log
      (even
      > in debugging mode) to indicate what occurred. I don't see anything
      > in the event log, nor in the game log. I don't think there was
      > contention for COM4 in this case, but who know. For now this is
      pretty
      > low priority.
      >

      > I searched the group and didn't see any exact matches, but if
      > they've already been discussed, please point me to them.
      >

      > Thanks in advance,
      >

      > Paul

    • pmillerusa
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
        Thanks for the quick reply.

        I see its working now as well and was wondering if there was a minimum
        number of data points before it was active or otherwise. All looks good
        now though, so I guess it was just bad timing for the new guy...

        On the game issue, yes, I do have the La Crosse supplied USB/Serial
        convertor, so that very well could be the issue. The thing is, I have
        had the station running locally for a month or so (via the same
        USB/Serial) with no issues running Heavy Weather directly.

        What I may do this evening is change it from direct serial and have it
        read the log and see if that changes the behaviour. I also have another
        USB/Serial i can try.

        Will report on what I find out and thanks again.

        Paul
      • pmillerusa
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
          I think I have everything resolved...

          1 - It looks like the timeliness of the data on WU was their issue as
          it seems to be similar to other stations in the area.

          2 - The PC locking up was indeed the serial/USB converter (or a port
          conflict). I am so used to using my laptop that I forgot my desktop PC
          had a native serial port. Changed the comm. port over as well as
          plugging it directly in and there have been no lock-ups since.

          Great software and all is looking great.

          Thanks again!

          Paul
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
            Good to hear you are back in business.
            Steve
          • Rick
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008

              Sorry but the subject line in this looks like something BOB Barker
              would right..LOL Have your pet.....

              Rick
              KOHWAPAK1

              http://www.bright.net/~cfr301/weather.htm