New to WUHU... have a few problems.

  • pmillerusa
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008

      Hi all... I am an amateur astronomer and have recently started tracking local weather for my own purposes (predictive seeing, high altitude moisture and cloud cover for astrophotography etc) . When I found WUHU I was relieved to see a tool that replaces/compliments the Heavy Weather software my station it came with.

      I have a La Crosse WS-2316 that is operating well.

      I was able to get WUHU setup without issue and tried it both in normal and direct serial mode. Since they both seemed to work as expected, I am using direct serial to have one less process running on the PC.

      I am having two problems (it think) -

      1. When I created the station in Weather Underground, everything appeared normal and the "rapid fire" feature seemed to be doing its thing. I had an icon on the map that was accurate to my location. I was able to see current data refreshing in this graphic that is now static…

      http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KCALEONA3

      It reports updated NaN seconds ago (it did read 53 seconds, 3 minutes etc last night)

      Also, the map no longer has me listed. I know WU says that they will take the station off the "list" if the data isn't current, but I think it is… I've tried to update the station and change the LAT/LON to verify and it's accurate.

      All of the station updates are coming through and the data seems to be accurate. Is there any reason (or difference) between the charts and the rapid fire graphic/sticker?

      1. When using some other programs (particularly when my son was playing a game), it froze the PC to the point it needed a hard boot. I was able to stop the updates and

      The easy answer is to have WUHU on another PC (probably the right answer), but I also was hoping for any detail beyond the local log (even in debugging mode) to indicate what occurred. I don't see anything in the event log, nor in the game log. I don't think there was contention for COM4 in this case, but who know. For now this is pretty low priority.

      I searched the group and didn't see any exact matches, but if they've already been discussed, please point me to them.

      Thanks in advance,

      Paul

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
        Paul,

        Welcome to the group.

        I believe WU is having some issue with the stickers/rapid fire as
        others have reported similar problems as well. Viewing your link, it
        appears to work for a bit, then it said the last update was 11
        minutes ago.

        As far as the game lockup, it is difficult to say. We have seen
        problems with some USB to serial adapters that can hard-lock your
        machine. Are you using a USB to serial adapter?

        Thanks.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "pmillerusa"
        <pmillerusa@...> wrote:

        > Hi all... I am an amateur astronomer and have recently started
        tracking
        > local weather for my own purposes (predictive seeing, high altitude
        > moisture and cloud cover for astrophotography etc) . When I found
        WUHU I
        > was relieved to see a tool that replaces/compliments the Heavy
        Weather
        > software my station it came with.
        >

        > I have a La Crosse WS-2316 that is operating well.
        >

        > I was able to get WUHU setup without issue and tried it both in
        normal
        > and direct serial mode. Since they both seemed to work as expected,
        I am
        > using direct serial to have one less process running on the PC.
        >

        > I am having two problems (it think) -
        >

        > 1. When I created the station in Weather Underground, everything
        > appeared normal and the "rapid fire" feature seemed to be doing
        > its thing. I had an icon on the map that was accurate to my
        location. I
        > was able to see current data refreshing in this graphic that is now
        > static…
        >

        > http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
        ID=KCALEON\
        > A3
        > <http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?
        ID=KCALEO\
        > NA3>
        >

        > It reports updated NaN seconds ago (it did read 53 seconds, 3
        minutes
        > etc last night)
        >

        > Also, the map no longer has me listed. I know WU says that they will
        > take the station off the "list" if the data isn't current,
        > but I think it is… I've tried to update the station and change
        > the LAT/LON to verify and it's accurate.
        >

        > All of the station updates are coming through and the data seems to
        be
        > accurate. Is there any reason (or difference) between the charts
        and the
        > rapid fire graphic/sticker?
        >

        > 1. When using some other programs (particularly when my son was
        > playing a game), it froze the PC to the point it needed a hard
        boot. I
        > was able to stop the updates and
        >

        > The easy answer is to have WUHU on another PC (probably the right
        > answer), but I also was hoping for any detail beyond the local log
        (even
        > in debugging mode) to indicate what occurred. I don't see anything
        > in the event log, nor in the game log. I don't think there was
        > contention for COM4 in this case, but who know. For now this is
        pretty
        > low priority.
        >

        > I searched the group and didn't see any exact matches, but if
        > they've already been discussed, please point me to them.
        >

        > Thanks in advance,
        >

        > Paul

      • pmillerusa
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
          Thanks for the quick reply.

          I see its working now as well and was wondering if there was a minimum
          number of data points before it was active or otherwise. All looks good
          now though, so I guess it was just bad timing for the new guy...

          On the game issue, yes, I do have the La Crosse supplied USB/Serial
          convertor, so that very well could be the issue. The thing is, I have
          had the station running locally for a month or so (via the same
          USB/Serial) with no issues running Heavy Weather directly.

          What I may do this evening is change it from direct serial and have it
          read the log and see if that changes the behaviour. I also have another
          USB/Serial i can try.

          Will report on what I find out and thanks again.

          Paul
        • pmillerusa
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
            I think I have everything resolved...

            1 - It looks like the timeliness of the data on WU was their issue as
            it seems to be similar to other stations in the area.

            2 - The PC locking up was indeed the serial/USB converter (or a port
            conflict). I am so used to using my laptop that I forgot my desktop PC
            had a native serial port. Changed the comm. port over as well as
            plugging it directly in and there have been no lock-ups since.

            Great software and all is looking great.

            Thanks again!

            Paul
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008
              Good to hear you are back in business.
              Steve
            • Rick
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 4, 2008

                Sorry but the subject line in this looks like something BOB Barker
                would right..LOL Have your pet.....

                Rick
                KOHWAPAK1

                http://www.bright.net/~cfr301/weather.htm