Re: More lightening

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
      If your getting Temp and Humidity readings then your remote unit is
      most likely ok and you just need new sensors Like rain bucket and wind
      sensor if thats all thats failed

      Rick
      KOHWAPAK1

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "RS Moreland"
      <bobmoreland@...> wrote:

      > Thank you for your response.
      >
      > Rain bucket is all ok, no issues with printed board, clear buskets and
      > ok on continuity.
      > Sounds like a hit through the rain sensor wire(lying on the ground)
      > and through to the console. If that's the case would the o/s temp hum
      > sensor be damaged also?
      > It looks like maybe I'm in for a new pws. This raises the questions
      > about the good, the bad, and the ugly. Talk about a ton of opinions on
      > this subject I do see the merits for wireless and wonder if I need to
      > rethink this whole question even though I will continue to defend the
      > Lacrosse 2310 for its' quality data

      > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Bob,
      > >
      > > Pop the cover on the rain bucket to see if you have either spider
      > > website, a loose wire, or oxidation/cracks on the circuit board. If
      > > they all check out, run a continuity test or inspect the telephone
      > > cable that runs to the remote thermo unit.
      > >
      > > The serial cable does not have any resistor so far as I know.
      > >
      > > You could have what I experienced a couple of years ago. The section
      > > of the console that communicates with the PC could be fried. I have a
      > > console that works but the communications do not.
      > >
      > > You might need to purchase a new replacement console. You might
      > > consider finding a station at Costco for $80 or so. That would give
      > > you a set of backup sensors as well. It is either than or buy a new
      > > console from the La Crosse outlet store for around $45-$50.
      > >

      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "RS Moreland"
      > > <bobmoreland@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Greetings all,
      > > > Lightening last night. Wired 2310. Lost rain sensor readings to
      > > > console, wind, temp and hum are reading at the console.
      > > > Lost all to pc but the com port appears ok see some of the log
      > > below;
      > > >
      > > > Wed Apr 02 12:39:14 2008 > Detected consecutive communications
      > > > failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
      > > > Wed Apr 02 12:39:24 2008 > Attempting to re-open port COM1.
      > > > Wed Apr 02 12:39:24 2008 > Port COM1 re-opened successfully,
      > > > attempting to resume communications.
      > > > Wed Apr 02 12:39:28 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from
      > > > console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
      > > >
      > > > I hooked the console to another pc with no change.
      > > > I've replaced the cables from the wind sensor to temp hum sensor
      > > with
      > > > cat5 also the temp hum sensor to the console with cat 5 cables, but
      > > > not the rain sensor.
      > > >
      > > > So, the questions are;
      > > > Rain sensor repairable with new cable?
      > > > Serial cable to pc repairable? I believe it was said that there is a
      > > > resistor in the serial connector that could/would be the cooked part
      > > > and a new cable would be needed?
      > > >
      > > > Regards, Bob

    • John Wilson
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
        I also lost rain readings on my 2310 once. The bucket
        is OK, the reed relay in the bucket housing was OK,
        wires were OK to the RJ connector on the remote unit
        was OK. I connected directly to the connections on the
        PC board of the temp/hygro and thre were no
        indications of rain recording.

        The main chip on the unit is buried under epoxy. I
        traced the two lines from the RJ connector to where
        they converged into the chip....scraped through the
        solder mask (that green coating) to expose the trace
        and found there to be no connection to the RJ-11!

        Somehow the traces were open (in two places, it turns
        out). I soldered jumpers around the failure points and
        all is up and OK again. There were no "burnt" marks on
        the board...it appears that the trace etching on my
        unit was subject to specks of dust/dirt or the
        negative was scratched...leaving a very thin trace in
        two spots.

        Something to look into, if you wish a try to repair
        the unit you have.
        Good Luck.
        John

      • RS Moreland
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2008
          John,
          Thanks for the reply.
          I'll it a look as soon as I can. Can't make it any worst by trying.
          Regards, Bob

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Wilson
          <radiowilson@...> wrote:

          > I also lost rain readings on my 2310 once. The bucket
          > is OK, the reed relay in the bucket housing was OK,
          > wires were OK to the RJ connector on the remote unit
          > was OK. I connected directly to the connections on the
          > PC board of the temp/hygro and thre were no
          > indications of rain recording.
          >
          > The main chip on the unit is buried under epoxy. I
          > traced the two lines from the RJ connector to where
          > they converged into the chip....scraped through the
          > solder mask (that green coating) to expose the trace
          > and found there to be no connection to the RJ-11!
          >
          > Somehow the traces were open (in two places, it turns
          > out). I soldered jumpers around the failure points and
          > all is up and OK again. There were no "burnt" marks on
          > the board...it appears that the trace etching on my
          > unit was subject to specks of dust/dirt or the
          > negative was scratched...leaving a very thin trace in
          > two spots.
          >
          > Something to look into, if you wish a try to repair
          > the unit you have.
          > Good Luck.
          > John

          Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.