Re: Lightning strike, need new station

    Message 1 of 31 , Mar 30, 2008
      Carl, when you say dead, does that mean that no light or anything
      come on or that it will not boot?
      Just seems strange that the computer worked until you shut it down.

      Steve

      - In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "carl98762003"
      <carl98762003@...> wrote:

      > Well, did a power off shutdown to see if the serial port was just
      > confused. Computer is dead now. Looks like it took a brand new APC
      > 1500 ups with it. Guess i'm ordering a new motherboard first. Hope
      it
      > didn't get anything else.

      > <steve_03222@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Carl,
      > > When my serial port got fried by a nearby lightning strike I
      simply
      > > bought a new one and it installed quite well.
      > > You can get either a 1 or 2 serial port card as long as you have
      > > slot to put it in. Was pretty cheap too, think it was around
      $20.
      > > I was down for I think 2 days, the only 2 days I have missed
      since I
      > > started uploading using WUHU.
      > >
      > > Steve
      > >

      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "carl98762003"
      > > <carl98762003@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Well, looks like the com port is gone too. Vista says a port
      is
      > > there
      > > > but doesn't see a modem hooked to it. Another vista machine
      has no
      > > > problem seeing the modem. Guess i'll either have to go usb to
      > > serial,
      > > > get a serial card, or move whatever I get to the other machine.
      > > >
      > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "carl98762003"

      > > Will

      > > WS-

      > > computer to

      > > checks
      > > lightning
      > > setting
      > > unwire
      > > display apart
      > > diodes and

      > > reliable.
      > > want the
      > > wouldn't
      > > totally
      > > powered by
      > > there
      > > small, it
      > > observed
      > > Not sure

    • Wayne Thomas
      Message 31 of 31 , Mar 31, 2008
        Yep, Thats what I meant to say :-)
        Typing in a dark basement late at night will render output like that :-)
        Your experiences with the station are much the same as mine. Mine has
        been up and running
        only a year or two and I have done some work on the wind speed sensor
        and replaced batteries a few times
        and thats it.

        Wayne