Winter Weather and building collapses

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2008
      Not sure how others are making out this winter, but here in Central
      and Northern NH we have had some major issues.
      Roof collapses are a big problem, I have never heard of so many
      building collapses.
      Schools are a big problem, large stores like Kohls and Walmart.
      Have had car dealerships collapse as well as office buildings.
      Many houses and trailers as well as a host of other type storage or
      nulti use buildings.
      I expect that it will get much worse in the next couple of days. We
      are expecting an inch or more of rain, sleet and freezing rain.
      Clearing the roofs has been complicated as we have received record
      amounts of rain along with the record snowfall. There are heavy
      thick layers of ice in the snow packs. Many roofs have 4 - 5 ft of
      snow and ice on them. Roof rakes are of not much use as they can not
      break through th eice.
      Just had a fire call on the scanner and a local family has been
      evacuated due to structural damage. They were fortunate to be able
      to get out before an actual collapse.
      We have been fortunate and not heard of any deaths or major
      injuries, but some of these collapses, like a social center in town,
      collapsed with no warning, luckily there were no people in side when
      it happened. That night there was to be a large event with a couple
      hundred people expected. I visite dthe site and the building is
      flat, I can not imagine what would have happened if it collapsed
      that evening when the building was full of people.
      I am keeping my fiongers crossed that no one gets hurt during one of
      these structural failures.
      Clearing off roofs are now causing additional problems, blocked
      emergency exits, direct vent heater vents,dryer vents, etc Water
      damage is inevitable.
      Steve
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2008
        They have shown some of that on the NEWS here Steve ..its just Amazing
        how much snow has fallen this year. For those thinking were having
        Global Warming I think they messed that up big time since a scientist
        in California said on the news the other night the average Temp of the
        Earth has dropped almost a half degree this winter!

        Rick
        KOHWAPAK1

        <steve_03222@...> wrote:

        > Not sure how others are making out this winter, but here in Central
        > and Northern NH we have had some major issues.
        > Roof collapses are a big problem, I have never heard of so many
        > building collapses.
        > Schools are a big problem, large stores like Kohls and Walmart.
        > Have had car dealerships collapse as well as office buildings.
        > Many houses and trailers as well as a host of other type storage or
        > nulti use buildings.
        > I expect that it will get much worse in the next couple of days. We
        > are expecting an inch or more of rain, sleet and freezing rain.
        > Clearing the roofs has been complicated as we have received record
        > amounts of rain along with the record snowfall. There are heavy
        > thick layers of ice in the snow packs. Many roofs have 4 - 5 ft of
        > snow and ice on them. Roof rakes are of not much use as they can not
        > break through th eice.
        > Just had a fire call on the scanner and a local family has been
        > evacuated due to structural damage. They were fortunate to be able
        > to get out before an actual collapse.
        > We have been fortunate and not heard of any deaths or major
        > injuries, but some of these collapses, like a social center in town,
        > collapsed with no warning, luckily there were no people in side when
        > it happened. That night there was to be a large event with a couple
        > hundred people expected. I visite dthe site and the building is
        > flat, I can not imagine what would have happened if it collapsed
        > that evening when the building was full of people.
        > I am keeping my fiongers crossed that no one gets hurt during one of
        > these structural failures.
        > Clearing off roofs are now causing additional problems, blocked
        > emergency exits, direct vent heater vents,dryer vents, etc Water
        > damage is inevitable.
        > Steve

      • Jeff Le Doux
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2008

          Hey Steve,

          We here in the foothills of Western Maine are seeing much the same.  I have a 100+ year old barn, but it seems to have been built with a fairly steep roof and a lot of12x12 beams, so it has stood well.  There are some others close by that have not fared as well.  My only problem right now is the icicle that forms over my Wildblue satellite dish because it was installed under a valley in my roof on my house.  This has caused numerous interruptions in my internet service connection, and that hopefully will be fixed on Friday.  Oh, when the ice let go after the 98 ice storm we could feel the entire house shift.  There were walls of ice to the east of my barn as tall as the barn walls and about 10 feet from the barn.  Unfortunately I have no pictures of them   Maybe I will get some good photos when this ice lets go from the barn roof.

          Jeff L.

          KMEWILTO1

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2008
            Rick, so far around 113 inches of snow this season.
            Steve

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <cfr301@...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 5, 2008
              Jeff,
              I bet you are looking forward to mud season as well as I am. LOL

              steve

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Le Doux"