Re: La Crosse WS-2310 8-second wired reporting problem

  • Mike Frerkes
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 9, 2005
      I had the exact reverse scenario happen once. The unit would update
      every few seconds when it was NOT CABLED. This lasted for a short
      period of time then it resumed normal operation.

      I've had tremendous difficulty with the cabled connection, due
      largely to the interference issue that produces wacked-out wind
      readings. My PC causes some of the interference; I can run it
      cabled so long as it's not connected to the computer. Likewise, I
      can run the PC connected to the unit, provided I'm only using the
      wireless transfer option.

      My guess is your hygro/thermo unit is getting some kind of
      interference through the cable that makes it THINK it's in wireless
      mode. Aside from replacing all the cheap LaCrosse cable with
      quality twisted-pair wire...there may be nothing you can do to
      remedy the problem.

      Good luck!

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "bucklava03"
      <brianmulcahy@c...> wrote:
      > My La Crosse WS-2310 won't report every 8 seconds with a cable
      > connection. It stays at 128 seconds, which is the wireless rate. I
      > tried removing the batteries, unplugging everything and rebooting
      the
      > PC, which did make it work at 8 second intervals for a short time.
      > Then it went back to 128 seconds. Has anyone had this problem or
      heard
      > of this?
      >
      > Thanks, Brian
      > KMASTERL3
      > CW4065
    • bucklava03
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 9, 2005
        I ran a brand new phone line from the base unit to the hygro/thermo
        sensor and now it runs at 8 seconds. The line must have been
        defective. Thanks for the help Mike.

        Thanks,
        Brian

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Frerkes"
        <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
        > I had the exact reverse scenario happen once. The unit would
        update
        > every few seconds when it was NOT CABLED. This lasted for a short
        > period of time then it resumed normal operation.
        >
        > I've had tremendous difficulty with the cabled connection, due
        > largely to the interference issue that produces wacked-out wind
        > readings. My PC causes some of the interference; I can run it
        > cabled so long as it's not connected to the computer. Likewise, I
        > can run the PC connected to the unit, provided I'm only using the
        > wireless transfer option.
        >
        > My guess is your hygro/thermo unit is getting some kind of
        > interference through the cable that makes it THINK it's in
        wireless
        > mode. Aside from replacing all the cheap LaCrosse cable with
        > quality twisted-pair wire...there may be nothing you can do to
        > remedy the problem.
        >
        > Good luck!
        >

        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "bucklava03"
        > <brianmulcahy@c...> wrote:
        > > My La Crosse WS-2310 won't report every 8 seconds with a cable
        > > connection. It stays at 128 seconds, which is the wireless rate.
        > > tried removing the batteries, unplugging everything and
        rebooting
        > the
        > > PC, which did make it work at 8 second intervals for a short
        time.
        > > Then it went back to 128 seconds. Has anyone had this problem or
        > heard
        > > of this?
        > >
        > > Thanks, Brian
        > > KMASTERL3
        > > CW4065
      • stevech
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9, 2005
          Try these: if the PC and the weather station display unit are some distance
          apart in the home, it could be that they are plugged into different phases
          of your AC mains. If so, this can create a ground loop. To test this
          hypothesis, run the base unit on battery for a while (unplug the wall wart).
          If this cures the problem, you can change plugging arrangement to get them
          on the same phase.

          Hypothesis: noise and interference ingress to the phone-cable. Radio shack
          et al have a phone junction box- it accepts an RJ11 phone connector and ties
          that to four screw terminals. To these terminals, you can connect four of
          the wires of a shielded cable you purchase - a bit hard to find. Do this for
          both ends. Twisted pair cable is irrelevant but won't hurt; you need
          shielded.

          Lastly, you can try putting various capacitors (.01 uF is a good starting
          guess) across the wires, perhaps via the phone junction terminal scheme
          discussed above. The capacitor can connect across the signal lines and/or
          from one or more to ground. This will be a low pass filter to attenuate high
          freq. Signals - radio station nearby, cell phone, noisy PC monitor, etc.
          This is a lot of trial and error unless someone else has done it. I'd think
          that the manufacturer would have a cure as it may be common - e.g., people
          near radio station transmitters, noisy high voltage power lines, etc.

          And finally - if LaCrosse returns my WS3610 with a cure for the whimpy dim
          LCD, and I keep it, I can look into the cure myself.

          Regards
          Steve

          <brianmulcahy@c...> wrote:
          > My La Crosse WS-2310 won't report every 8 seconds with a cable
          > connection. It stays at 128 seconds, which is the wireless rate. I
          > tried removing the batteries, unplugging everything and rebooting
          the
          > PC, which did make it work at 8 second intervals for a short time.
          > Then it went back to 128 seconds. Has anyone had this problem or
          heard
          > of this?
          >
          > Thanks, Brian
          > KMASTERL3
          > CW4065

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 20, 2005
            Steve,

            I was wondering if you had experimented with creating the low-pass
            filters you mentioned?

            Thanks.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech" <stevech@s...>

          • stevech
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 20, 2005

              No, my WS3610 is just temporarily installed outside, running wireless mode. I have had a couple of instances of corrupt data apparently due to noise.

              I wish LaCrosse would get some competent design engineers.

              wrote:
              > Try these: if the PC and the weather station display unit are some
              distance
              > apart in the home, it could be that they are plugged into different
              phases
              > of your AC mains. If so, this can create a ground loop. To test this
              > hypothesis, run the base unit on battery for a while (unplug the
              wall wart).
              > If this cures the problem, you can change plugging arrangement to
              get them
              > on the same phase.
              >
              > Hypothesis: noise and interference ingress to the phone-cable.
              Radio shack
              > et al have a phone junction box- it accepts an RJ11 phone connector
              and ties
              > that to four screw terminals. To these terminals, you can connect
              four of
              > the wires of a shielded cable you purchase - a bit hard to find. Do
              this for
              > both ends. Twisted pair cable is irrelevant but won't hurt; you need
              > shielded.
              >
              > Lastly, you can try putting various capacitors (.01 uF is a good
              starting
              > guess) across the wires, perhaps via the phone junction terminal
              scheme
              > discussed above. The capacitor can connect across the signal lines
              and/or
              > from one or more to ground. This will be a low pass filter to
              attenuate high
              > freq. Signals - radio station nearby, cell phone, noisy PC monitor,
              etc.
              > This is a lot of trial and error unless someone else has done it.
              I'd think
              > that the manufacturer would have a cure as it may be common - e.g.,
              people
              > near radio station transmitters, noisy high voltage power lines,
              etc.

              > And finally - if LaCrosse returns my WS3610 with a cure for the
              whimpy dim
              > LCD, and I keep it, I can look into the cure myself.
              >
              > Regards
              > Steve

            • Ed
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 21, 2005
                My 2310 has been prone to faults and corruption due to external
                sources of noise. During a storm (go figure) lightening will cause
                enough static to cause my unit to go into "---" mode. Plus radio
                interference will also cause it to go south. I've had it replaced once
                already. I run mine in wired mode with no batteries in the outdoor
                sensor so when it dies, all I need to do is reset (pressure+wind) the
                indoor unit to get it started again. I am considering rewiring or
                adding a choke on mine. I too wish I had know that this unit was
                flawed. I would have spent the extra $$ for a more reliable one. guess
                that's the difference between a $200 WS and a $400 one .. cheers.
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 21, 2005
                  I was hoping to try the clip on ferrites although I have no idea how to
                  properly select the appropriate one.

                  Any ideas short of replacing the cables?

                  Thanks.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 21, 2005

                    I think ferrites won’t suppress the noise at or near the intended signal frequency. They are intended for much higher freq noise.