Re: WMR-100 Support

    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1 9:49 PM
      Tony,

      I sure would have supported the WMR100, apparently OS is too big for
      their britches to have the courtesy to respond to the requests for
      their protocol from software developers like myself. I have tried at
      least 4 times, they have not bothered to respond once. I even tried
      to reach "HQ" in Asia without success.

      At this point I would like to make the announcement that WUHU will no
      longer support any OS weather stations other than the WMR-9X8
      stations that it current supports. The only reason WUHU supports that
      protocol is due to the dedication of individuals that have reverse
      engineered their protocol through hours of toil.

      The same can be said of the yet to be release La Crosse stations. Mr
      WUHU (as I am affectionately refered to, aka, Mr. free La Crosse
      technical support, aka "home user" who is apparently unworthy of
      their protocol) will no longer support any station from La Crosse
      that does have have a published protocol.

      The same will be true for any other station manufacturers who is not
      making their protocol available. I have spent hours upon hours trying
      to reverse engineer these protocols, I am officially done with it.

      My advice is to find station that has a well documented protocol,
      like Davis or Peet Brothers.

      You can however purchase one of the other two commercial packages,
      apparently they have an "in" with OS and La Crosse.

      I am thinking maybe WUHU needs to go commerical.

      Best of luck.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <is0hha@...> wrote:

      > Hello Dear WUHU.
      > In the future, do you think it's possible to add the support for
      the regon WMR-100 Stations ?
      > I want to buy this weather station and i want continue to use WUHU
      Software.
      > I hope in this feature.
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Tony

    • Radu Eugen
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2 4:41 AM
        Hello, as I understand do you intend to cease the WUHU
        assistance to stations like La Crosse too ? What new
        modells do you think of ? Will LC 3600 or 3650
        continue to work with WUHU software ? If my station is
        already active will it continue to send data due to
        the WUHU software in the future ?
        I share your bitterness towards the narrow minded
        people who manufacture La Crosse or Oregon concerning
        the protocol issue. All the best, Eugen Radu, Oradea,
        Romania

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • D Doty
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 2 6:03 AM
          Thank You, (Keith, I think) WUHU-Software.
          I am a relatively new member of the weather community, although I have studied the weather for many years as an active pilot.
          I am currently running a OS WMR 968 after having had several problems with my La Cross 2308 including a total failure of the rain gauge.
          The WMR 968 is performing well but I have doubts of the accuracy.
          I will return (briefly) to the US from Asia next month. I fully intend to obtain a Davis Pro system to bring back with me on my return.
          I also have a close friend who lives in Colorado (Deer Trail) outside of Denver. I have advised him that the Davis Pro is the system to get. He will obtain and install the system this year.
          Please continue your efforts to support all systems, but I understand your frustrations in trying to support systems that do not contribute to your efforts.
          All need to understand that most users WANT to contribute their data to anyone in the world who is interested.
          Dennis Doty
          IZAMBALE1
          CWOP 7056
          oldcessna21@...

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 2 8:38 AM
            Eugen,

            I do not know if the new stations emulate the protocol of the WS-23XX
            or WS-36XX series. I did see a screen shot of 'new' software that was
            not HW or HW Pro, so who knows what La Crosse has brewed up this time.

            If they have changed their protocol yet again, you might be stuck
            with 1 minute updates using the currdat.lst monitoring method. I will
            not be supporting them or OS or anyone else that does not open up
            their station.

            Thanks.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Radu Eugen

            ______________

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2 8:46 AM
              Dennis,

              I will have the Davis VP2 support done soon. The support will be
              there within the next week at the current pace.

              I have already added support for the live data, I need to now study
              the logging capability of the Davis.

              From what I see so far, you cannot go wrong with a Davis.

              Thanks.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, D Doty <oldcessna21@...>
              wrote:

              > Thank You, (Keith, I think) WUHU-Software.
              > I am a relatively new member of the weather community, although I
              have studied the weather for many years as an active pilot.
              > I am currently running a OS WMR 968 after having had several
              problems with my La Cross 2308 including a total failure of the rain
              gauge.
              > The WMR 968 is performing well but I have doubts of the accuracy.
              > I will return (briefly) to the US from Asia next month. I fully
              intend to obtain a Davis Pro system to bring back with me on my
              return.
              > I also have a close friend who lives in Colorado (Deer Trail)
              outside of Denver. I have advised him that the Davis Pro is the
              system to get. He will obtain and install the system this year.
              > Please continue your efforts to support all systems, but I
              understand your frustrations in trying to support systems that do not
              contribute to your efforts.
              > All need to understand that most users WANT to contribute their
              data to anyone in the world who is interested.
              > Dennis Doty
              > IZAMBALE1
              > CWOP 7056
              > oldcessna21@...

              align:right;padding-right:.5em;}

              ______________
              > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
              > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

            • Juha Jäntti
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 3 12:14 AM
                Hi Eugen.

                I think WUHU will still work with LaCrosse WS-3650, as it is
                practically the same as WS-3600. The only difference is the USB to
                RS232 converter that comes with the station. The protocols are unchanged.

                I know you all will hate me for saying all this, but anything else out
                of scope of the WS-23xx and 36xx series stations will probably not be
                supported unless someone is kind enough to either reverse engineer the
                new protocols these new stations are using or LaCrosse stops sitting
                on their hands and give details of the protocols. Somehow I'm not
                seeing the latter happening...

                Looking at the stations they are currently producing and selling, I've
                starting to have a distinct feeling that LaCrosse will pull the plug
                on WS-2300 and WS-3600 series models within the next 3-5 years despite
                community needs. We have seen WS-2300 and 2305 leave the shelves and
                next one targeted will be the 2308. Of course, they will still have
                the USB to serial converted models available, but for how long are
                they going to last if the current situation is like this? They may
                keep them available for several years after WS-2308 is pulled off the
                shelf completely. We are dependant on their decisions and looking at
                how much we, as a community can do to persuade LaCrosse, we are
                heading for troubled times.

                I sincerely hope people start or have already started developing a
                contigency/backup plans for their weather stations. When (and I
                emphasize *WHEN*) they pull the plug, weather community will feel the
                impact within a year or two, depending where the station is located
                and what kind of climate they're put into. We have tons of LaCrosse
                stations located around the globe, sending weather data to CWOP and
                other services. I fear we will lose a big number of them when LaCrosse
                decides to give a killing blow on their WS-2300/3600 line of products.

                I have a contigency plan set up and already underway: I'm switching to
                Peet Bros and all for a good reason. I'm utterly dissappointed with
                LaCrosse's support and their strange decisions for removal of weather
                station models without any prior warning. What makes my plan
                interested is that my forthcoming station is probably the first Peet
                Bros Ultimeter 2100 station in Finland (According to searches by
                Google and references to other nearby stations, which are mostly Davis
                and LaCrosse models).

                Please do remember, that these are only my predictions and opinions of
                things to come. I have no idea, what's going on at LaCrosse or what
                their plans really are but using common sense and logic, I came up
                with this prediction.

                Best Regards,
                Juha
                Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
                Helsinki, Finland
                CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2

                <eugenraduoradea@...> wrote:

                > Hello, as I understand do you intend to cease the WUHU
                > assistance to stations like La Crosse too ? What new
                > modells do you think of ? Will LC 3600 or 3650
                > continue to work with WUHU software ? If my station is
                > already active will it continue to send data due to
                > the WUHU software in the future ?
                > I share your bitterness towards the narrow minded
                > people who manufacture La Crosse or Oregon concerning
                > the protocol issue. All the best, Eugen Radu, Oradea,
                > Romania
                > --- wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Tony,
                > >
                > > I sure would have supported the WMR100, apparently
                > > OS is too big for
                > > their britches to have the courtesy to respond to
                > > the requests for
                > > their protocol from software developers like myself.
                > > I have tried at
                > > least 4 times, they have not bothered to respond
                > > once. I even tried
                > > to reach "HQ" in Asia without success.
                > >
                > > At this point I would like to make the announcement
                > > that WUHU will no
                > > longer support any OS weather stations other than
                > > the WMR-9X8
                > > stations that it current supports. The only reason
                > > WUHU supports that
                > > protocol is due to the dedication of individuals
                > > that have reverse
                > > engineered their protocol through hours of toil.
                > >
                > > The same can be said of the yet to be release La
                > > Crosse stations. Mr
                > > WUHU (as I am affectionately refered to, aka, Mr.
                > > free La Crosse
                > > technical support, aka "home user" who is apparently
                > > unworthy of
                > > their protocol) will no longer support any station
                > > from La Crosse
                > > that does have have a published protocol.
                > >
                > > The same will be true for any other station
                > > manufacturers who is not
                > > making their protocol available. I have spent hours
                > > upon hours trying
                > > to reverse engineer these protocols, I am officially
                > > done with it.
                > >
                > > My advice is to find station that has a well
                > > documented protocol,
                > > like Davis or Peet Brothers.
                > >
                > > You can however purchase one of the other two
                > > commercial packages,
                > > apparently they have an "in" with OS and La Crosse.
                > >
                > > I am thinking maybe WUHU needs to go commerical.
                > >
                > > Best of luck.
                > >

                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Tony"
                > > <is0hha@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hello Dear WUHU.
                > > > In the future, do you think it's possible to add
                > > the support for
                > > the regon WMR-100 Stations ?
                > > > I want to buy this weather station and i want
                > > continue to use WUHU
                > > Software.
                > > > I hope in this feature.
                > > > Thanks in advance.
                > > >
                > > > Tony

                > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

              • Radu Eugen
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3 4:54 AM
                  Dear Juha, is there anything we can do to covince
                  those guys from La Crosse to be more flexible with
                  their products ? Concerning Peet Bros I'm absolutely
                  sure that american brands weather stations are far
                  better but the problem is the price and the shipping
                  across the ocean. I'm stuck with La Crosse products
                  because I have a distributor of their products in my
                  own town. Oregon products are not available in our
                  country, they have no interest to come here, at least
                  that's what they said. In case that things will go
                  wrong I will try eventually to buy an Irox from
                  Switzerland. But I will try to contact the La Crosse
                  guys and express my concern and I'm interested to find
                  out what is their point of view regarding this matter.
                  I guess that if more La Crosse clients will try to
                  convince them maybe they will hear people's request.
                  After all, all this is a business, you offer me a
                  product that satisfy my needs I will buy from you, if
                  not, I will buy from somebody else. Don't you agree ?
                  All the best and I would like to hear more from you !
                  Eugen Radu, Oradea, Romania

                  === message truncated ===

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and
                • Juha Jäntti
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 4 4:14 AM
                    Eugen,

                    Looking back at the struggle Heath has had with LaCrosse and Oregon
                    Scientific (OS) as a programmer, I think we as standard customers (or
                    "consumers", as they refer to us) fare even worse. I perfectly
                    understand Heath's frustration. Nothing's more aggravating than first
                    sending e-mail to tech support and kindly and officially asking for
                    information and after *days* of waiting, get an e-mail back that says
                    "No, we're not going to give you anything". Asking for an advice as to
                    who to contact for the information, you get no response at all (it's
                    all equal to an e-mail stating "No, we're not going to help you").

                    As we get little or no response from their tech support the only way
                    we can really convince them to change their behavior is to start
                    telling people how their products are made, how they work and where
                    applicable, make negative reviews, telling people that they're
                    practically on their own if they rely on LaCrosse tech support.
                    Eventually people will start looking for a weather station they really
                    can rely on, hopefully forcing LaCrosse to change their ways.

                    Peet Bros products are sold in Europe nowadays. I bought my station
                    from German electronics supplier WiMo Antennen und Elektronik GmbH
                    (http://www.wimo.com/frameset_e.html) and it arrived today.
                    The price with all the needed supplies to get you going will be
                    somewhere double the price of a LaCrosse WS-3600 station but it will
                    still be less than what you would have to pay for a Davis station.

                    I sincerely hope LaCrosse wakes up from it's dreamy state and fast.
                    LaCrosse has potential producing good stations. It's only their level
                    of service and closed attitude toward people with good intentions,
                    like Heath and those involved in protocol reverse-engineering.

                    Heath has made a software that has likely resulted in more people
                    investing in LaCrosse stations that are able to send weather data,
                    which has resulted in more sells for LaCrosse and more money for them.
                    Heath hasn't earned a single cent in the process and LaCrosse thanks
                    him answering to a kind and perfectly official query by e-mailing back
                    the words: "No, we're not going to give you any details of anything,
                    because you are an end-user".

                    They will start losing customers and enthusiasts alike if they don't
                    change their ways.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 4 8:13 AM
                      Juha, I agree with you completely. I discussed today
                      with the local distributor of La Crosse products and
                      luckily all the modells he sells can be used with WUHU
                      software, excepting the LC 550 which I don't think it
                      will be too successful for someone who knows a little
                      bit about meteorology. Frankly I must say surprisingly
                      that even Rainwise is not fit to make standard
                      meteorological observations, things are a little bit
                      different with Davis but considering the price,
                      especially in a country like ours it's out of
                      discussion. If La Crosse will withdraw their most
                      successful modell, the 2300 series they will lose a
                      lot of clients, especially in the beginner meteo
                      enthusiasts segment. It depends what is their strategy
                      for the future. If their sell will drop they will
                      rethink their strategy. For the time being because
                      their products are not so expensive and reliable
                      people will continue to buy from them, it's a pity
                      they are so hard headed in communicating with their
                      clients. Write me more about your Peet Bros PWS, are
                      you sending data in the wunderground project? If so
                      what is your wunderground address ? I must absolutely
                      congratulate Heath for the WUHU software. Compared to
                      Heavy weather it's far better, I'm sorry I can't store
                      data through it otherwise I would use only WUHU. All
                      the best from Romania, Eugen Radu, Oradea
                      http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=oradea

                      === message truncated ===

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • RS Moreland
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 4 1:16 PM
                        Hi Mr WUHU,
                        First, Thank you for your work on this program. I use it and think
                        it's GREAT. I've bought one of the "other" programs and found it
                        lacking in many ways.
                        Second, as to pws and support. I'm concerned as to where the whole
                        industry is going. Profit dives the manufacture. Interest drives the
                        user/customer, and weather interest drives a wholes set of providers
                        (WU, W4Y, and CWOP), and us, the hobbist. Makers don't seen, yet, to
                        be concerned about the software that's needed to link the hobbist to
                        the weather providers and that has left us to wander in the great WWW
                        on our own.
                        Currently two software developers, that I'm aware of, and have bought
                        or tried, sell their programs with all kinds of ui's to do all kinds
                        of things with different degrees of success imo.
                        In your thinking of going commerical, I will support you in that. I
                        guess the question for you is, "do I want to make this big of a
                        comitment?" Some how I think that timewise you already have.
                        Best wishes to you in whatever you decide.
                        Regards, Bob

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 4 1:35 PM
                          Bob,

                          I am not sure on the commerical idea yet.

                          I appreciate your support.

                          Thanks for the compliments.

                          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "RS Moreland"
                          <bobmoreland@...> wrote:

> [...]
                          > not
                          > > making their protocol available. I have spent hours upon hours
                          > trying
                          > > to reverse engineer these protocols, I am officially done with it.
                          > >
                          > > My advice is to find station that has a well documented protocol,
                          > > like Davis or Peet Brothers.
                          > >
                          > > You can however purchase one of the other two commercial
                          packages,
                          > > apparently they have an "in" with OS and La Crosse.
                          > >
                          > > I am thinking maybe WUHU needs to go commerical.
                          > >
                          > > Best of luck.
                          > >

                          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <is0hha@>
                          wrote:

                          > > > Hello Dear WUHU.
                          > > > In the future, do you think it's possible to add the support
                          for
                          > > the regon WMR-100 Stations ?
                          > > > I want to buy this weather station and i want continue to use

                        • Juha Jäntti
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 5 2:32 AM
                            Eugen,

                            What I said about LaCrosse WS-2300 series stations are all based on my
                            view of the situation and experience. I started to fear the worst when
                            our local distributor announced that WS-2300 and 2305 are no longer
                            available for sale and only WS-2308 was available. What I have seen is
                            that WS-230x stations are the best if you have a COM port on your
                            computer. I expect people will suffer some ill effects with the new
                            WS-2350 station, which is effectively the same as WS-2300, but it is
                            shipped with a USB-RS232 converter.

                            It's a nice handout from LaCrosse, but I've heard that the converter
                            doesn't work with all people. Of course one can take the converter off
                            and use the normal COM port instead but it's not a good business
                            strategy for LaCrosse to raise the price of the station by
                            implementing something with the baseline station that isn't
                            extensively tested. So if the converter doesn't work, you paid extra
                            for nothing. The price paid may be marginal (a few dollars/euros), but
                            it's still your money.

                            I think LaCrosse doesn't give a good nickle about what the weather
                            enthusiasts need and hope and just push new models into markets and
                            expect people to happily accept anything they offer. This sort of
                            ignorance makes me angry.

                            If their sales drop, they *might* rethink their strategy, but frankly,
                            I don't think they would do anything radical like bringing back their
                            most popular model for sale. They would probably modify their latest
                            model to better fit for the enthusiasts. It may still be not enough;
                            They will probably still force you to use their own software that
                            doesn't communicate with CWOP and others and keep the protol a secret
                            - again.

                            For the Peet Bros PWS, it not yet in use. I received it yesterday,
                            along with the package number 1 from the USA, containing the parts not
                            available right away from Germany. I'm still waiting for package 2,
                            containing the rain gauge I ordered a week ago. At first I have to
                            take down the LaCrosse station before I can install the Peet Bros station.

                            Once I get it online, I'll download the latest Beta version and notify
                            about it here. The station will transmit weather data to AWEKAS, CWOP
                            and Weather Underground, as does my WS-2305 station right now.

                            My station IDs are CW4473 for CWOP and IUUSIMAA2 for WU.

                            <eugenraduoradea@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > country, they have no interest to come here, at
                            > > least
                            > > > that's what they said. In case that things will go
                            > > > wrong I will try eventually to buy an Irox from
                            > > > Switzerland. But I will try to contact the La
                            > > Crosse
                            > > > guys and express my concern and I'm interested to
                            > > find
                            > > > out what is their point of view regarding this
                            > > matter.
                            > > > I guess that if more La Crosse clients will try to
                            > > > convince them maybe they will hear people's
                            > > request.
                            > > > After all, all this is a business, you offer me a
                            > > > product that satisfy my needs I will buy from you,
                            > > if
                            > > > not, I will buy from somebody else. Don't you
                            > > agree ?
                            > > > All the best and I would like to hear more from

                          • Radu Eugen
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 5 1:26 PM
                              Dear Juha, I've been thinking about this thing with La Crosse stations and somehow I guess they don't care too much about the people who want to use their stations to transmit data on the internet. I've noticed that they tried to improve the response of their stations between the base stations and the outside sensors. Compared to 2300 series 3600 heavy weather pro software is improved, especially in the graphic part. They address their products to the clients not bothering too much in what purpose the clients want to use their stations. It's a pity that they don't see further down the line but that's the conclusion I came to. So the message is, if you don't like buy from somebody else. Now let's talk a little bit about Peet Bros, well, I studied their offer and I'm a little bit puzzled, I couldn't figure it out what is the time response between the base unit and the outside sensors, and the pressure if I remember correctly is between 900 and some millibars and 1080 or so. If I decide to take this station to a higher altittude what I'm I going to do with it ?! And one more thing, can you use your anemometer at 10 meters high and the temperature sensor at 2 meters at the same time ?! I expressed these questions to them but so far I got no answer. If you will install your station, please, write me how it works and if you discovered some informations that I couldn't get from their presentation. All the best and happy weather watching ! Eugen Radu, Oradea, Romania

                              <eugenraduoradea@ ...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > > > country, they have no interest to come here, at
                              > > least
                              > > > that's what they said. In case that things will go
                              > > > wrong I will try eventually to buy an Irox from
                              > > > Switzerland. But I will try to contact the La
                              > > Crosse
                              > > > guys and express my concern and I'm interested to
                              > > find
                              > > > out what is their point of view regarding this
                              > > matter.
                              > > > I guess that if more La Crosse clients will try to
                              > > > convince them maybe they will hear people's
                              > > request.
                              > > > After all, all this is a business, you offer me a
                              > > > product that satisfy my needs I will buy from you,
                              > > if
                              > > > not, I will buy from somebody else. Don't you
                              > > agree ?
                              > > > All the best and I would like to hear more from

                            • Juha Jäntti
                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 5 9:55 PM
                                Eugen,

                                The hard cold fact is that LaCrosse is nothing more than a reseller
                                for a manufacturer located in Asia and HeavyWeather (maybe alongside
                                with the comms protocol) is done by a German subcontractor. This alone
                                makes it open to all kinds of risks like faulty or poorly written
                                software (=HeavyWeather and HW Publisher are good examples).

                                They did and succeeded in improving response times between WS-2300
                                series models, but they forgot to tell consumers, which of the
                                stations had this improved response time and the local distributor
                                couldn't tell the difference because the improved model was identical
                                to the older model. They did improve the humidity readout as well and
                                this one they *did* mention on the package.

                                Well, I just got the Peet Bros station out of the package and put it
                                to the test that everything, except the yet-to-arrive rain gauge, is
                                in working order.

                                In my tests I noticed that the anemometer readouts are pretty much
                                real-time and very sensitive. As I increased the airflow to the
                                anometer using compressed air, I saw the speed increase immediately
                                and as I decreased the airflow toward zero, I was able to get readouts
                                as low as 0,1 m/s. I've never seen that fast response and low readings
                                with LaCrosse sensors.

                                The outdoor temperature/humidity sensor seems to get readings every
                                5-10 seconds (I was only looking that the sensor was functioning and
                                reading temperature and humidity, I didn't time it).

                                For the barometric pressure, the range is between 931,3 and 1067,0 hPa
                                (698,5 to 800,0 mmHg / 27,5 to 31,5 inHg), so it's very suitable for
                                most environment, even higher altitudes).

                                You can use the anemometer that high and temperature sensor at 2
                                meters easily. The cables for the anemometer and temperature meter are
                                both separated from each other.

                                I will keep you informed how the installation goes, once I get it started.