La Crosse WS-2310 8-second wired reporting problem

  • bucklava03
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 8, 2005
      My La Crosse WS-2310 won't report every 8 seconds with a cable
      connection. It stays at 128 seconds, which is the wireless rate. I
      tried removing the batteries, unplugging everything and rebooting the
      PC, which did make it work at 8 second intervals for a short time.
      Then it went back to 128 seconds. Has anyone had this problem or heard
      of this?

      Thanks, Brian
      KMASTERL3
      CW4065
    • Mike Frerkes
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 9, 2005
        I had the exact reverse scenario happen once. The unit would update
        every few seconds when it was NOT CABLED. This lasted for a short
        period of time then it resumed normal operation.

        I've had tremendous difficulty with the cabled connection, due
        largely to the interference issue that produces wacked-out wind
        readings. My PC causes some of the interference; I can run it
        cabled so long as it's not connected to the computer. Likewise, I
        can run the PC connected to the unit, provided I'm only using the
        wireless transfer option.

        My guess is your hygro/thermo unit is getting some kind of
        interference through the cable that makes it THINK it's in wireless
        mode. Aside from replacing all the cheap LaCrosse cable with
        quality twisted-pair wire...there may be nothing you can do to
        remedy the problem.

        Good luck!

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "bucklava03"
        <brianmulcahy@c...> wrote:
        > My La Crosse WS-2310 won't report every 8 seconds with a cable
        > connection. It stays at 128 seconds, which is the wireless rate. I
        > tried removing the batteries, unplugging everything and rebooting
        the
        > PC, which did make it work at 8 second intervals for a short time.
        > Then it went back to 128 seconds. Has anyone had this problem or
        heard
        > of this?
        >
        > Thanks, Brian
        > KMASTERL3
        > CW4065
      • bucklava03
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9, 2005
          I ran a brand new phone line from the base unit to the hygro/thermo
          sensor and now it runs at 8 seconds. The line must have been
          defective. Thanks for the help Mike.

          Thanks,
          Brian

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Frerkes"
          <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
          > I had the exact reverse scenario happen once. The unit would
          update
          > every few seconds when it was NOT CABLED. This lasted for a short
          > period of time then it resumed normal operation.
          >
          > I've had tremendous difficulty with the cabled connection, due
          > largely to the interference issue that produces wacked-out wind
          > readings. My PC causes some of the interference; I can run it
          > cabled so long as it's not connected to the computer. Likewise, I
          > can run the PC connected to the unit, provided I'm only using the
          > wireless transfer option.
          >
          > My guess is your hygro/thermo unit is getting some kind of
          > interference through the cable that makes it THINK it's in
          wireless
          > mode. Aside from replacing all the cheap LaCrosse cable with
          > quality twisted-pair wire...there may be nothing you can do to
          > remedy the problem.
          >
          > Good luck!
          >

          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "bucklava03"
          > <brianmulcahy@c...> wrote:
          > > My La Crosse WS-2310 won't report every 8 seconds with a cable
          > > connection. It stays at 128 seconds, which is the wireless rate.
          > > tried removing the batteries, unplugging everything and
          rebooting
          > the
          > > PC, which did make it work at 8 second intervals for a short
          time.
          > > Then it went back to 128 seconds. Has anyone had this problem or
          > heard
          > > of this?
          > >
          > > Thanks, Brian
          > > KMASTERL3
          > > CW4065
        • stevech
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9, 2005
            Try these: if the PC and the weather station display unit are some distance
            apart in the home, it could be that they are plugged into different phases
            of your AC mains. If so, this can create a ground loop. To test this
            hypothesis, run the base unit on battery for a while (unplug the wall wart).
            If this cures the problem, you can change plugging arrangement to get them
            on the same phase.

            Hypothesis: noise and interference ingress to the phone-cable. Radio shack
            et al have a phone junction box- it accepts an RJ11 phone connector and ties
            that to four screw terminals. To these terminals, you can connect four of
            the wires of a shielded cable you purchase - a bit hard to find. Do this for
            both ends. Twisted pair cable is irrelevant but won't hurt; you need
            shielded.

            Lastly, you can try putting various capacitors (.01 uF is a good starting
            guess) across the wires, perhaps via the phone junction terminal scheme
            discussed above. The capacitor can connect across the signal lines and/or
            from one or more to ground. This will be a low pass filter to attenuate high
            freq. Signals - radio station nearby, cell phone, noisy PC monitor, etc.
            This is a lot of trial and error unless someone else has done it. I'd think
            that the manufacturer would have a cure as it may be common - e.g., people
            near radio station transmitters, noisy high voltage power lines, etc.

            And finally - if LaCrosse returns my WS3610 with a cure for the whimpy dim
            LCD, and I keep it, I can look into the cure myself.

            Regards
            Steve

            <brianmulcahy@c...> wrote:
            > My La Crosse WS-2310 won't report every 8 seconds with a cable
            > connection. It stays at 128 seconds, which is the wireless rate. I
            > tried removing the batteries, unplugging everything and rebooting
            the
            > PC, which did make it work at 8 second intervals for a short time.
            > Then it went back to 128 seconds. Has anyone had this problem or
            heard
            > of this?
            >
            > Thanks, Brian
            > KMASTERL3
            > CW4065

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 20, 2005
              Steve,

              I was wondering if you had experimented with creating the low-pass
              filters you mentioned?

              Thanks.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech" <stevech@s...>

            • stevech
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 20, 2005

                No, my WS3610 is just temporarily installed outside, running wireless mode. I have had a couple of instances of corrupt data apparently due to noise.

                I wish LaCrosse would get some competent design engineers.

                wrote:
                > Try these: if the PC and the weather station display unit are some
                distance
                > apart in the home, it could be that they are plugged into different
                phases
                > of your AC mains. If so, this can create a ground loop. To test this
                > hypothesis, run the base unit on battery for a while (unplug the
                wall wart).
                > If this cures the problem, you can change plugging arrangement to
                get them
                > on the same phase.
                >
                > Hypothesis: noise and interference ingress to the phone-cable.
                Radio shack
                > et al have a phone junction box- it accepts an RJ11 phone connector
                and ties
                > that to four screw terminals. To these terminals, you can connect
                four of
                > the wires of a shielded cable you purchase - a bit hard to find. Do
                this for
                > both ends. Twisted pair cable is irrelevant but won't hurt; you need
                > shielded.
                >
                > Lastly, you can try putting various capacitors (.01 uF is a good
                starting
                > guess) across the wires, perhaps via the phone junction terminal
                scheme
                > discussed above. The capacitor can connect across the signal lines
                and/or
                > from one or more to ground. This will be a low pass filter to
                attenuate high
                > freq. Signals - radio station nearby, cell phone, noisy PC monitor,
                etc.
                > This is a lot of trial and error unless someone else has done it.
                I'd think
                > that the manufacturer would have a cure as it may be common - e.g.,
                people
                > near radio station transmitters, noisy high voltage power lines,
                etc.

                > And finally - if LaCrosse returns my WS3610 with a cure for the
                whimpy dim
                > LCD, and I keep it, I can look into the cure myself.
                >
                > Regards
                > Steve

              • Ed
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 21, 2005
                  My 2310 has been prone to faults and corruption due to external
                  sources of noise. During a storm (go figure) lightening will cause
                  enough static to cause my unit to go into "---" mode. Plus radio
                  interference will also cause it to go south. I've had it replaced once
                  already. I run mine in wired mode with no batteries in the outdoor
                  sensor so when it dies, all I need to do is reset (pressure+wind) the
                  indoor unit to get it started again. I am considering rewiring or
                  adding a choke on mine. I too wish I had know that this unit was
                  flawed. I would have spent the extra $$ for a more reliable one. guess
                  that's the difference between a $200 WS and a $400 one .. cheers.
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 21, 2005
                    I was hoping to try the clip on ferrites although I have no idea how to
                    properly select the appropriate one.

                    Any ideas short of replacing the cables?

                    Thanks.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 21, 2005

                      I think ferrites won’t suppress the noise at or near the intended signal frequency. They are intended for much higher freq noise.