Re: Anyone own a WS3610? I need assistance...

  • Not A Faker!
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2005
      Luckily, I have a Presario 2100 which does incorporate the old-
      school serial port, so I don't have any USB-related headaches.
      Davis units are less prone to problems, but they cost over $600 to
      put online! From an accuracy standpoint, Davis units really aren't
      any more precise than a LaCrosse unit that is properly sited and
      configured. All things considered, I'm happy with my LaCrosse
      station depsite some of the annoying design flaws.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech" <stevech@s...>
      wrote:
      > Well, I've sent the WS3610 LCD main unit to them for "repair". If
      they
      > respond with "no trouble found", then I'll return it to the
      retailer.
      > I know it's a competitive market, but really now.
      > Do the $500 Davis units also have lame/whimpy LCDs? With no always-
      on
      > backlight?
      >
      > The cable noise problem I can deal with.
      >
      > Another gripe I've registered with the 3610 is that the serial
      port is
      > W-E-I-R-D. Won't work through a USB to serial (which works with
      lots of
      > other things I have). I think this problem is because they use the
      > RTS/CTS/DTR/DCD lines in very nonstandard ways, to include,
      perhaps, sending
      > data with these instead of TD/RD, according to my quick look with
      a serial
      > port analyzer. I may be wrong on this, but that it doesn't work via
      > USB/serial is a big problem for them since most laptops and many
      desktops
      > omit the 9 pin serial port now.

      Faker!
      > Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 5:49 PM
      > To: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Anyone own a WS3610? I need
      assistance...

      > I have heard of other LaCrosse units with a similar problem,
      > especially the WS-9013U. The LCD contrast on my unit (a WS-2310)
      > has to be cranked all the way up...and the backlight, which is
      > supposed to stay on all the time when powered by AC, will not
      remain
      > lit. Apparently, LaCrosse changed that feature later in
      production
      > but did not bother to update that change in the product literature.
      >
      > LaCrosse has become notorius for cutting corners. Just ask anyone
      > who gets wacky wind readings because the cheap cable they supply
      is
      > not adequately shielded. My intuition tells me your problem is
      > likely another result of LaCrosse's shoddy approach to design and
      > quality control. You could contact technical support, however you
      > run the risk of incurring additional expenses if they determine
      this
      > problem is not related to workmanship issues.
      >
      > Good luck!
      >
      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "stevech11"
      > <stevech@s...> wrote:
      > > I just agonized over which weather station to buy. My last
      > purchase of
      > > one was, er, several years ago, it being a HeathKit LED weather
      > > station which still works (anemometer still works). But I need a
      > new
      > > one for a 2nd home...
      > >
      > > The WS3610CH just arrived- but I am very dissatisfied with the
      LCD