9664Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Modifying a Lacrosse Ws23xx for Frequent Wireless Updates

  • Jon
    Feb 3, 2008
      Hi Dimitris,

      I'm using rechargeable NiMH batteries.  I've switched between power and batteries over the last  year or so - so I can't say for sure how long they'd last.  I did the mod about a month ago and they seem to be doing fine so far (even through some pretty cold weather).  The transmitter is fairly accessible to me, so I'm not personally too worried about battery life.

      If I'm not mistaken, there are 4 wires going to the transmitter.  I believe two are power and two are signal lines.  So, it might be possible to send power to t he unit that way - but I haven't tried.

      Worst case, someone could always use a dummy battery and wire it up like this:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranger_gav/508645502/

      I've also seen less  high-tech - wood dowel with a tack in each end solutions.

      Once you've gotten the power in there, you can use anything you want - an AC wall adapter, solar cells, etc..
      I'd make sure that I tested the voltage with a multimeter to make sure it was the 3v that you expect.  It would be a really good idea to use a voltage regulator to make sure that the voltage stayed exactly where it needs to be.  I'm sure we could spin off a whole discussion on this alone.

      Has anyone else used "remote" power?

      Jon G.

      petros0022 wrote:

      Hello Jon

      This is great congratulations.
      I like to ask you what power it use now ? batteries ? solar energy ?
      or AC/DC adaptor 3 VDC ?
      Because i thing if it send weather data every 8 sec the normall 2AA
      batteries it will finish fast and every 2 month it will need change .

      Thank you

      Best regards from Greece
      Dimitris
      http://www.geocitie s.com/meteo19671 967