7770Re: La Crosse has released a USB-connected station?

  • Juha Jäntti
    Sep 1, 2007
      Hello Tony,

      Yes, that seems to be the case. What makes this an interesting one is
      that Nouveauxobjets.com's site gives the impression the station is
      shipped without a converter and the USB interface is built-in. The
      2350 has a new ring to it (I ALMOST fell into it), but since only the
      turbine anemometer has been the biggest change, existing 23xx series
      users have much easier and cheaper job on obtaining the cup version
      instead of the whole station. :)

      I've been very satisfied with my WS-2305 and have recommended it as a
      station worth getting (well, It's now changed to either 2300 or 2308
      :) ). I have also told all the good things WUHU does comparing to
      HeavyWeather and given high recommendations on obtaining the software
      once they get the station up and running.

      Thanks Tony for your input.

      Best Regards,
      Juha.
      Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
      Helsinki, Finland
      CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <is0hha@...> wrote:

      > Hello Juha,
      > if you observe the picture on LaCrosse site, you see that WS-2350 is
      > identical to WS-2300. The USB connection is provided from a USB-
      > Serial converter. Only the anemometer is been changed, now is a cup
      > version.
      > I think that Lacrosse has made a restiling of WS-2300 because a lot
      > of people don't appreciate other WS-23xx series. They buy a WS-2300
      > Clone instead of other WS-23xx series.
      > I expect one month for my LaCrosse WS-2300 because in italy was
      > unrechable since 6 months ago.
      >
      > Bye,
      > Tony.
      >
      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Juha Jäntti
      > <jjantti2@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all!
      > >
      > > I stumbled across a La Crosse WS-2350 weather station while
      > browsing
      > > around the net.
      > >
      > > Essentially it's a 2300/2310 station with all the bits and pieces,
      > but
      > > with a USB connection instead of the RS-232 (Serial).
      > >
      > > Since I'm not very skilled in French, I can't tell whether this
      > > station is really a USB connectable or just a WS-2300 with a
      > > USB-Serial converter added to the package and then just given a new
      > > number.
      > >
      > > I can only ascertain that it has all the same things and
      > limitations
      > > as WS-2300 (like the wireless transmission versus wind speed). One
      > > exception is the anemometer, which has been changed from the
      > turbine
      > > to the cup version. A CD is also included but nothing is said about
      > > HeavyWeather, though I don't think they have done anything to the
      > > software.
      > >
      > > Yet for reasons unknown, La Crosse seems to have pulled off the
      > > WS-2305. It's no longer available in European retailers. Adding up
      > the
      > > post wuhu_software recently about La Crosse releasing a USB-type
      > > weather station, this seems fitting (and at the same time not).
      > >
      > > But here's the question: If La Crosse really made this station that
      > > supports USB, how is the connection made logically? Is it some
      > > proprietary La Crosse protocol or is it acting as a normal COM-port
      > > attached device and most importantly: How does WUHU see this
      > station?
      > >
      > > I fear we're running to yet another WS-3600 case, where we're
      > going to
      > > need another raffle to get this station up and running with WUHU.
      > >
      > > Here's the link:
      > > http://www.nouveauxobjets.com/2350.php
      > >
      > > Best Regards,
      > > Juha.