6577Re: v215 Rainfall tweak.

    May 27, 2007
      Audun,

      WUHU simply does a conversion from mm to Inches (1 Inche=24.4 mm).
      Neither the console or HW report the bucket tips. You could determine
      the number of tips based upon the station type although this could
      prove to be tricky.

      As far as the currdat.lst data, I thought maybe I could output a
      seperate field for [rain_total] to show the tweaked rainfall total,
      something like [tweaked_rain_total]. Let me know if this would be
      useful.

      I am not sure I quite understand the tweak of a tweak. Can you simply
      bump up your tweak by another 8% to compensate?

      Thanks.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "fikkaud"
      <audun.fikke@...> wrote:

      > Feedback on Rain Tweak:
      >
      > WUHU is working fine with my modified raingauge and the new tweak
      > applied.
      >
      > I have observed the following:
      >
      > General:
      > currdat.lst increments rainfall changes between two values. This
      must be
      > due to decimals carried on within WUHU. The total will ofcourse
      always
      > be correct. I guess It's always been like this.
      > Q: What is the exact rainfall/tip used by WUHU in it's
      calculations? Is
      > it 0.02in = 0.508mm?
      >
      > Weather Underground:
      > Every rain shower starts with a tweaked measurement of 0.19mm (in my
      > case). WU states hourly rain of 0.3mm. Also odd increments are seen
      > here. (Carried decimal places I guess) The total at WU is correct
      by the
      > end of the day.
      >
      > My raingauge is modified (and tested) to give exactly 0.20mm/tip
      > (~0.008in). Maybe it's better to have a fixed 'rain/tip' value
      instead
      > of the surface area tweak?(more on this later in a sidetrack)
      >

      > CONCLUSION:
      > Everyting works really nice, the matters I talk about uneven
      increments
      > will only be of cosmetic considerations if you plot directly from
      these
      > values.
      >

      > SIDETRACK ON BUCKET VOLUME AND ACCURACY:
      >
      > When doing the maths to derive a tweak factor. I also calculated the
      > theoretic volume needed to get 0,02in or 0,5mm of rain with the
      original
      > gauge. That added up to 3500mm^3 needed to make it tip. Of course I
      went
      > ahead to check mine since it was down from the roof.
      >
      > I spent much time to measure the actual volume needed for mine, and
      was
      > surprised to find that it took 3800mm^3. Quite a difference. MORE
      THAN
      > 8%! So I've been under measuring for two years [X-(] . It has
      actuelly
      > dripped down 150tonnes of water on my land that I didn't catch. (I
      > know... Weather freak....but I don't have that much land either
      [:D] )
      > This makes it apparent that there are individual differences from
      > production, friction and maybe other sources of error.
      >
      > During the last showers I've got my measurements verified against
      > measurements taken with ancient rain measurement techniques.
      > So fellow rainmakers, this is the reason I'm asking for a
      rainfall/tip
      > tweak so You don't have to come up with a tweak for the tweak (if
      you
      > know what I mean [;)] ). OK folks don't loose your sleep over this.
      But
      > I bet you're gone go out there with a straight edged container and a
      > ruler to see how your's are performing. Maybe some of you will
      apply a
      > tweak for an unmodified sensor to bias your measurements?
      >
      > Instead of spinning your heads on this topic I do agree with others
      that
      > you should start uploading your webcams to WU instead. I do.
      >
      > Greetings from Norway and GET WET!
      > Audun
      > WS-3600 direct serial
      > modified raingauge
      > http://vindkast.com <http://vindkast.com>

      > <mailto:wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com> , "Mike Frerkes"
      > <mfrerkes@> wrote:
      >
      > I have installed the new version of WUHU and it appears to be
      > working
      > very well. Luckily it has been raining non-stop where I live for
      > the
      > last 24 hours, so I was able to test it with a real weather
      > scenario. Although I switched from VWS to WUHU right in the
      middle
      > of rain shower (messing up my daily and hourly totals), the
      > readings
      > were similar to those of two other nearby stations.
      >
      > With the new funnel I've attached to my WMR, the rainfall
      > resolution
      > is now .008 inches. The modifications I've made aren't
      > aesthetically
      > pleasing...but it gets the job done. Thanks for adding this
      tweak!

      > <mailto:wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com> , "wuhu_software"
      > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
      >

      > I have created a new version of WUHU with a rainfall tweak.
      >
      > Please test it if you have a need, otherwise hold off.
      >
      > Feedback appreciated.
      >
      > ----
      >
      > Software Download:
      >
      > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/