6064Re: Console and PC time

    Apr 6, 2007
      Pete,

      It is difficult to say what could have caused the errors.

      More than likely it was not the WWVB time sync as it happened well
      past the time when that might happen (12am-7am).

      Was the computer running any other software that might have hogged
      the processor at the time?

      Anti-virus or other CPU intensive applications might disrupt the
      communications. The scheme used to communicate with the WS-3610 uses
      the handshake lines rather than normal character transmission (used
      by most serial devices). The timing intervals between bits is
      controlled by software (WUHU). A heavy load on the processor could
      easily affect the application's ability to keep up with the data
      stream resulting in communication errors being posted.

      Keep in mind that if you get one or two communications errors, it is
      really not a big deal as you are uploading data several times per
      minute. Unless communications is lost for an extended period of time,
      no data is lost.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" <pjweix@...>
      wrote:

      > [:-/] ok,,,,, so i get home and my clock is now 4 minutes
      different
      > from the pc and not getting any errors in the WUHU log it is
      uploading
      > data just fine. So what could have been giving me those errors?
      >
      > Pete
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" <pjweix@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > My console and the PC clock are within 25 seconds of each other.
      I am
      > > running a WS-3610 in direct serial mode. I am about 30 miles
      south of
      > > Madison Wisconsin so I should be able to receive the WWVB signal
      all
      > the
      > > time. My console is about a foot away from the PC so I will move
      it as
      > > far away from the PC as possible when I get home.
      > >
      > > Pete

      > > wuhu_software@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Pete,
      > > >
      > > > If your console and computer's clock are set within a minute or
      two
      > > > of each other, the communication errors you are seeing are being
      > > > caused by something else.
      > > >
      > > > Are you running a WS-23XX in direct serial mode?
      > > >
      > > > Whether or not your console can receive the WWVB signal is
      > determined
      > > > by a couple of factors.
      > > >
      > > > Firstly, it depends where it the country you are located.
      > > >
      > > > See this link for the estimated signal strengths:
      > > >
      > > > http://tf.nist.gov/stations/wwvbcoverage.htm
      > > >
      > > > The second factor is noise being generated by the computer. La
      > Crosse
      > > > recommends that you move the console are far as possible away
      from
      > > > the computer. They say 6ft, which is beyond the length of the
      serial
      > > > cable provided.
      > > >
      > > > Try temporarily moving the console as far away from the
      computer as
      > > > possible and see if it can receive the signal overnight.
      > > >

      > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "plasmaboy3" pjweix@

      > > > console.
      > > > clock

      > > > two