4893Re: [wuhu_software_group] Tornados sweep through central Florida in the middle of the night.

  • Richard Ray, KI4PEQ
    Feb 2, 2007
      There is such as system in place in Okaloosa County, Florida. The system has the capacity for calling up to 1000 phones per minute with a pre-recorded message, the phone numbers being selected by geographic area. The downside is the local phone company (Embarq) will have a system crash if the EM computer makes that many calls per minute on the phone system. So they have to slow it down.

      The local emergency management people strongly advise that the citizens of the county own and use NOAA weather radio. Apparently many residents of Central Florida got warning from their NOAA weather radios before the storms hit, and a greater loss of life was avoided.

      For obvious reasons, Floridians tend to be better prepared for weather emergencies than many other Americans.

      Richard L. Ray

      On Feb 2, 2007, at 9:39 AM, Alan Steremberg wrote:

      I think we need to make a desktop of flash widget that we can trigger with an alert and start the audio playing. I also spoke to the sonos people about integrating it into their system, but they didn't really understand the emergency aspect yet. ie: why people would want their radio to automatically switch from pretty music to weather radio.

      Alan

      On 2/2/07, Mark Wyman <mark@markwyman.com> wrote:

      I always wondered about having telephones linked into the Emergency network, so your phone would emit a specialized ring during local emergencies like this. It would be driven by law from the telephone company, who could target just the areas of concern. Since these days everyone has a phone, and not many have weather radios, it would be an ideal solution. Of course they would probably tack on another $2 a month for this service.

      -Mark