4886Re: Tornados sweep through central Florida in the middle of the night.

    Feb 2, 2007
      Alan,

      I would be interested in developing an application for the tray.

      Let me know when you guys have a protocol/scheme to work with.

      I can throw applications together pretty quickly.

      Thanks.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"
      <alans@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > We have an email alert product right now that you can sign up for
      by zipcode
      > ($10/year or free to weather station owners).
      >
      > Ed at AmbientWeather has a desktop app that alerts you in the tray,
      but I
      > don't think it is quite what we want.
      >
      > We have all the data, we are just missing a scalable way to deliver
      the
      > alerts, and the small client application to start playing the local
      NWS
> [...]
      side.

      > > On the client side, once the client receives a packet from WU and
      > > sees matching FIP and alert codes, that is all it really needs to
      > > begin alerting operations. It could then perform audio alerting,
      > > reading and displaying the NWS XML based warning information
      (based
      > > on the active FIP code), and possibily take other user defined
      > > actions including prompting the user to stream live audio.
      > >
      > > If such a service were open to developers, any number of client
      > > applications could be developed to take advantage of such a
      system.
      > > You could have stand alone applications (perhaps on the toolbar),
      or
      > > integration with existing appications (weather apps, home
      automation
      > > systems, email and pager alert systems).
      > >
      > > So basically, it seems that all of the pieces could be put
      together
      > > easily. The main problem seems to be finding a real-time stream
      that
      > > contains all SAME alerts (or that can be parsed from the stream),
      and
      > > a central server to disseminate that data in real-time using an
      > > efficient mecahnism to deliver the encoded data.
      > >
      > > ---
      > >
      > > Here is a breakdown of the SAME alerts:
      > >
      > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_Area_Message_Encoding
      > >
      > > Here are the Internet feeds that I found.
      > >
      > > 1) Emergency Managers Weather Information Network. It is
      available to
      > > the public. I am still trying to dig up information on the
      protocol.
      > > It is not well documented. This data is sent several ways,
      satellite,
      > > VHF radio, and the Internet. This data contains text and graphics
      > > mixed together. There are 3 software packages for sale that
      > > understand how to process the protocol, none are free.
      > >
      > > 2) NOAA Weather Wire Service. Although the stream of data is
      > > controlled by one company, there is one time $75 registration fee.
      > > Since you can telnet in to it, I am assuming it is just text. It
      > > might be different using the satellite links, I am not sure. This
      > > might be used to capture the events as they are put out on the
      wire
      > > but it may be more work as the alerts/warnings are not encoded.
      > >
      > > 3) The NOAAPORT broadcast system provides a one-way broadcast
      > > communication of NOAA environmental data and information in near-
      real
      > > time to NOAA and external users. This broadcast is implemented by
      > > commercial provider of satellite communications utilizing the C-
      band.
      > > It's primary purpose is for providing internal communications
      within
      > > the National Weather Service and for providing forecasts, warnings
      > > and other products to the mass media (newspapers, radio stations,
      TV,
      > > etc.), emergency management agencies, and private weather
      services.

      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%
      40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "Alan Steremberg"
      > > <alans@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I think we need to make a desktop of flash widget that we can
      > > trigger with
      > > > an alert and start the audio playing. I also spoke to the sonos
      > > people about
      > > > integrating it into their system, but they didn't really
      understand
      > > the
      > > > emergency aspect yet. ie: why people would want their radio to
      > > automatically
      > > > switch from pretty music to weather radio.
      > > >
      > > > Alan

      > > Emergency
      > > telephone company,
      > > everyone has a