3113Re: Rain Gauge Reading #2

    Jul 7, 2006
      Mason,

      I found my old post on the approximate surface area of the rain
      collector (I guessed 3" x 5", should be pretty close).

      If WUHU registered a .81 increase in the rain total then you can
      calculate the approximate volume of the water you poured.

      If the rain collector is approximately 15 sq inches then:

      .81 (in) x 15 (sq. inches) = 12.15 (cubic inches).

      12.15 cubic inches is approximately 6.73 fluid oz.

      Is it possible that you poured 6.73 oz versus 4 oz?

      > I am not sure, but .81 / 27 = .03 in per tip.
      >
      > The manual states a 1mm resolution. (0.0394 In).
      >
      > It is possible that your test was correct.
      >
      > I am not sure if 4 oz should have produced an inch or two. You have
      > to calculate the surface area of the rain collector then in turn a
      > volume calculation.
      >
      > It may prove to be accurate.
      >
      > I will dig up an old post I did on the calculations. It is in a
      > message somewhere in the group.
      >
      > Will check it out tomorrow.
      >
      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, James Mason
      > <masonjh1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I checked mine--there was a little dirt--and a little spider web
      > not attached--I cleaned it thoroughly--and tested it--it tripped 27
      > times and HeavyWeather showed .73 and WU showed .81. Would have
      > thought the 4 oz of water I used in the test would have shown at
      > least an inch or two. As you can tell, I did dribble the water in
      > cause it to trip 27 times. Thanks for all the comments. I'm
      > checking with LaCrosse ito see if they have any suggestions.

      > > How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone
      > call rates.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic