22679Re: [wuhu_software_group] New weather station recommendations

  • Radu Eugen
    Dec 13, 2013
      On Thu, 12/12/13, Chris Mattingly <chris@...> wrote:

      Subject: Re: [wuhu_software_group] New weather station recommendations
      To: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, December 12, 2013, 3:51 PM

      If there is a choice between a Davis and an Oregon, I would definitely go for the Davis.
      Never heard too many favourable opinions about Oregon stuff.
      Some of you say that for 500 USD you can buy the Vantage Vue with data logger and the weatherlink, as far as I heard.
      But I would definitely like to find out what is the difference between Oregon WMR 300 and Davis stuff, considering the price, which one is better at the same price ?
      Probably Oregon WMR 300 is offering everything needed to put data on the internet and has also the data logger incorporated in the main unit, but I saw that the price is aproximately 620 USD.
      Now comes the question, which sensors are better, the Davis ones or the Oregon ones ?
      Which one of the 2 weather station modells is better ?

      Eugen Radu, Oradea, Romania

      It sounds like
      the WMR300 uses a
      different logging format than the WMR200... so at this
      point, WUHU
      wouldn't be able to read the data, I wouldn't
      think.

      Found it for $529 at Costco and looks like it's
      $504 at OS's site
      (with a discount code that expires 12/17).

      Also saw this guy in Costco yesterday: http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/c84612/

      It uses a device that plugs into your network and
      uploads to a
      lacrosse site.  Not sure if there'd be any way to
      grab the data
      for use in something like WUHU.

      I think I could swing for WMR300... if I knew WUHU
      could crack
      their code. ;)

      -Chris

      On 12/12/2013 3:02 PM, Radu Eugen wrote:

      On Thu, 12/12/13, crholt@...
      <crholt@...>
      wrote:

      Subject: [wuhu_software_group] New weather
      station
      recommendations

      To: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Thursday, December 12, 2013, 1:30 PM

      How much do you intend to spend for the
      replacement of
      your La Crosse 2308 ?

      It's all about money. If you spend more
      you'll have a
      better quality, if you spend less your
      expectations cannot
      be very high.

      There is an interesting offer of new Oregon
      300 or so, a
      copycat of Davis older modell, but the price
      around 500
      USD is not too tempting for someone who cannot
      spend so
      much for just a hobby.

      Think about it !

      All the best to you, Eugen Radu, Oradea,
      Romania, Europe.

      IBIHOROR9 and IBIHOROR10, La Crosse, cheap,
      all the way.

      Fellow WUHU'ers,

      My trusty LaCrosse 2308 seems to be nearing
      the end of its

      life after 7 years.  Unfortunately, a Davis
      is out of

      my reach, but does anyone have recommendations
      for a

      "second tier" weather station
      (LaCrosse, Oregon

      Scientific, etc.)?