22677RE: [wuhu_software_group] RE: New weather station recommendations

  • Cheney, Douglas
    Dec 13, 2013

      I echo your comments. Our Davis unit has been going 15 yrs literally without a hitch and seems to be game for another 15. The past few years I had a modern LaCrosse in parallel which was fine for 10 months, okay up to the 2 yr mark and a struggle after that. At year 3 I gave up on the LaCrosse and shut it down.  The LaCrosse wireless, solar power, blah blah was enticing but at the end of the day, the quality was not there for the long haul.

      From: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com [mailto:wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Chris Vickroy
      Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 10:18 AM
      To: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [wuhu_software_group] RE: New weather station recommendations

      I have been a WUHU user for about 9 years now.  I started with a cheaper unit – not the LaCrosse – and was always struggling with breakdowns and poor data.  I quickly found out that I needed a second unit to save money buying replacement parts as they wore out.

      About 6 years ago, I bought a Davis unit, installed it, and forgot it, except for upgrades light UV and light measurement, and a periodic cleaning of the rain cup.  During that time, NOTHING HAS FAILED.  DATA HAVE ALWAYS BEEN RELIABLE AND ACCURATE.

      That is why I am a Davis owner.

      Date: Friday, December 13, 2013, 7:56 AM

      I have a question for Davis owners, except a better humidity sensor, at high humiditiy conditions outside, what do you get extra compared to the cheap old La Crosse 200 ?
      Because 300 meters range of the outside sensors means absolutely nothing, you want to know the weather parameters in your back or front yard not in the neighbourhood.
      And the wind, if there is windy outside, can me measured almost the same with the cheapest modells.
      Personally I'm not so sure I'd pay 3 or 4 times more for the same stuff, the diagrams on the console are not a big deal, you have graphs for free on wunderground or on your personal wuhu.
      It all depends on how much is ready to spend someone for this ?

      All the best to you !
      Eugen Radu, Oradea, Romania.

      They are
      asking $202 just for the ISS.
      That doesn't include the console nor Weatherlink
      (required to
      connect it to a PC  or Mac).  Not that great of a
      deal.  Even
      their price of $355 for the console/ISS bundle
      isn't good, because
      you still have to add Weatherlink.

      Don's find at rainmanweather.com seems to be the
      front-runner for
      the best price on the complete bundle.

      On 12/13/2013 6:49 AM, wuhu_software@...
      wrote:

      What about a Davis Vue?

      This ad prices the unit at $202.

      http://www.weatherconnection.com/product.asp?itmky=331829&s=froogle&gclid=CJGunsmQrbsCFYlDMgodzWsAng

      For the quality of a Davis compared to lesser
      units, it is
      certainly worth the extra $100.

      Just
      my two cents.