22181Re: How to control a WS-2308 with win7 64-bit computer

  • a7t@swbell.net
    May 23 12:04 AM
      Hi-
      Thanks for the information. Could you please elaborate a bit on items 2 and 3?

      2. I got the idea of terminal commands from: http://flakrat.blogspot.com/2008/03/lacrosse-ws2308-weather-station.html. It sounded like he controlled the ws-2308 with a simple perl script. Unfortunately, I don't know perl (or linux) so I didn't fully understand what he was doing.

      3. Do you still recommend the Sabrent SBT-USC6M adapter? It's less than half the price of the IOGear GUC232A. One of the techs at Lacrosse recommended the Cables Unlimited USB 2920. He said he's used it and it works fine.

      Thanks

      > 1) Yes
      >
      > 2) You cannot type in a terminal to issue commands. The protocol is binary, encoded, and there are many hoops you need to jump through even under software control.
      >
      > 3) If you have a decent USB to serial adapter, download and try it. The download link is on the main Yahoo group page.

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "a7t@" <a7t@> wrote:
      > >

      > > We need to control a Lacrosse WS-2308 using a computer running Win7 64-bit, and without a serial port. [Our old 32-bit machine had a serial port, and Heavyweather ran just fine. But Heavyweather does not work under Win7 64-bit.]
      > >
      > > 1. Can you install WUHU and use direct serial mode to control and collect data from a Lacrosse WS-2308 weather station on a Win7 64-bit computer?
      > >
      > > 2. Does anyone have a list of the actual commands you would type in at a terminal to control the WS-2308?
      > >
      > > 3. I'm aware of the potential problems with "cheap" usb to serial adapters. I have one. I have a terminal program (accessport). With a list of the WS-2308 commands, I might be able to determine whether the adapter can communicate with the WS-2308.
      > >
      > > Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic