21769Re: File describing homemade Stevenson shield posted - solved my problem

  • dick_kf5sa
    Mar 10, 2013

      I would think some screening would work and not impede air flow that much.

      I think the nylon used in hardware will stand up to UV rays ... in Central Texas I'll certainly find out quickly enough.

      Thanks for your comments.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jed Petrovich <jwpetrov@...> wrote:
      > Dick:
      > Very nice work! I had a similar problem with my temp/humidity sensor on my
      > weather station. The kindly tech support person at WU let me know why my
      > station was sometimes disappearing from the web. In my case, I was able to
      > hang my sensor under a large pine tree. So far, it has worked to keep the
      > temp within tolerance and the tree provides some protection for the sensor.
      > However, I may need to create a shield for it, so I appreciate you taking
      > the time to post detailed instructions.
      > I did have a general question for you and the group. I've had problems with
      > wasps building nests in my sensors. (Rain gauge, in particular.) Would it
      > be possible to put some window screen around such sheilds to keep them out?
      > Perhaps the screen would impede the some air flow.
      > At the end of your document, you mentioned that you may want to replace the
      > metal nuts with nylon. I'm assuming this would be done so the nuts would be
      > easier to remove. I wondered about using brass or stainless steel nuts. I'm
      > thinking the nylon may get brittle from the UV.
      > Thanks again,
      > Jed
      > AD7KG
      > South Jordan, UT
      > WU Station: KUTSOUTH11
      > On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 6:49 PM, dick_kf5sa <shadowberr@...> wrote:
      > > **
      > >

      > > Thanks to Chris and others my post #21653 has been solved. Once I realized
      > > my station was being removed from the maps due to excessive variance in
      > > temperature reporting compared to others in the area, I investigated
      > > shielding. Following general approaches used by others, I built a Stevenson
      > > shield with the temp/humidity sensor inside. That seems to have done the
      > > trick. I posted a PDF of the step-by-step in the Files section.
      > >
      > > Thanks all
      > > Dick

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic