20511Re: Lacrosse Anemometer Question

    Mar 1, 2012
      I am pretty sure that the direction is determined from a small disk with slits in it. Are 4-5 pairs of emitters and receivers and they decode one of the 16 possible positions. If you ever tear one apart, do it slowly otherwise you will end up with a bunch of parts in your hand one as it flies apart.

      I cannot recall how the turbine works. I think it might be using a magnetic pickup of some kind. There may be a wire in one of the turbine blades maybe. I do recall some type of sensor with two wires attached to it.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "w0gu" <n2ic@...> wrote:

      > This may be slightly OT for this group ...
      >
      > I have a Lacrosse WS-2315. The wind speed seems to read consistently higher than I would expect.
      >
      > I took apart the anemometer from a defunct WS-2310. It's not clear to me how it actually works....The turbine spins, and there is some kind of 2-wire sensor. What is it sensing as the turbine spins ? Infrared ? Ultrasonic ? Magnetic ? And since the sensor is fixed in position, while the turbine pivots with the wind direction, how does that work ?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Steve

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic