16881Lighting and surge protection

  • Mark Paul
    Jul 31, 2010
      I have had my lacrosse 2317 for a few years now and it is directly wired to the sensors via about 50 feet of extra phone cable to its outside location. It is connected to my computer with a USB serial converter. It seems that once a week or so WUHU will simply lose communication with the Main unit located right next to the computer and the only way to get it back up is to reset the computer, does anyone else have this problem. Also when there is a thunderstorm with a lot of lighting it seems to knock out communication between the Therm sensor and the main unit even though it is directly wired and I hate when that happens because then I have to completely reset the unit to get communications to resume and I lose all my data. Now that being said I tried to put a normal phone line surge protector in the line to stop and surges from coming up the line and into the computer USB or the 2317 main unit. When I did this the communications would never come through almost like the surge protector was blocking the data communication, does anyone have a setup like this where they were successful in adding some type of surge protection?
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic