      Sent: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 12:41 PM
      Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Need help with my WS2310RX

      Joe,

      If I had to guess, if there is only one external port, that is not COM2 and is probably COM1. COM2 might be available on the motherboard with the use of an external connector (using in a slot blanking plate).

      Do you have any software that might be holding COM1? Some packages like PDAs (for sure Palm) will grab the port at boot. If you have the UPS feature of the OS enabled, it might grab the port.

      The easiest way to test a port is to open hyper term, connect the TX pin of the port back to the RX Pin of the port (pins 2 and 3) using a jumper. What you type should show up on screen if the port is working.

      I would focus on what other application or service might be holding COM1 hostage.

      --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "Joe Brown" <joe@...> wrote:

      > There is only one COM port showing on the back of the computer. If I set WUHU to use COM1, I get a message saying it is already in use - by what, I have no idea. It says maybe HeavyWeather is using it, but I don't have HeavyWeather installed.
      >
      > I started messing around with computers when the Radio Shack TRS-80 came out, and have been doing the internet since before there was a world wide web, but I have never figured out these COM and LPT ports, their settings, IRQ's etc. Any assistance appreciated!

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic