15830Re[2]: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Need help with my WS2310RX

  • Jodie Reynolds
    Dec 28, 2009

      Hello Joe,

      By default, COM2 and COM4 share the same IRQ. (As do COM1 and COM3)  Historic reasons dating back to when 8bit dinosaurs roamed the earth. ;)  LPT is Line PrinTer - for same historic reasons.  It's a parallel rather than serial port.

      You can reassign the IRQs in device manager.

      --- Jodie

      Thank you for the prompt response!  Yes, I checked that several times, and they both have the same time and AM/PM.

      I have also looked into the Device Manager to check the ports, and I really don't know what I am looking at.  It says that there are two COM ports, and both are working fine.  The back of the computer onloy has one COM port available for use, which is why I said I don't know where it is or what is using it.  But apparently, this is the one I was using before the OS replacement.  It also shows a single LPT port.  But something I hadn't noticed before is that there are two more COM ports showing: "RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM3) and RIM Virtual Serial Port v2 (COM4).

      I use a BlackBerry cellphone, and it would appear that Research In Motion's software must have created these.  Could they be blocking the hardwired COM2?