15517Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Personal WS suggestions? Davis 6250 Vantage VUE?

  • Shawn Parker
    Nov 4, 2009
      Well mine is on a post thats about 6 feet above the peak of the roof. So
      I will have to check next summer to see if it effects it or not. I
      actually had one of the larger rain totals the last rain storm we had.

      Dan Brown wrote:

      > main problem with the roof is on sunny days the shingles will get very
      > hot and then heat rises to contaminate temp. this is especially true
      > in summer with dark color shingles. at night, heat will escape through
      > the roof from most homes, mainly noticible in winter. however, this
      > can be fixed through temp tweaks thanx to wuhu, or you can just not
      > worry about it if the readings seem ok. having the rain gauge on roof
      > can lead to low precip readings during strong wind events, as the rain
      > tends to hit the sides and much will miss the bucket. it is best to
      > have it somewhat wind sheltered if possible, but not in a wind/rain
      > shadow.
      >
      > db

      > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Shawn Parker
      > <kamakzie@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have it on the roof and it seems to do fine there.
      > >

      > > Joe S wrote:
      > > >

      > > > So, I've got the WS-2317. Happy with it for the past two year.
      > > > Considering an upgrade.
      > > >
      > > > Is this Davis 6250 Vantage VUE, "the one" now?
      > > >
      > > > Looking at it, I'm a bit confused. For accurate wind measurements,
      > I'm
      > > > supposed to mount this high off the ground. But for rain, they
      > want it
      > > > "close" to the ground.
      > > >
      > > > Doesn't this all-in-one solution not allow for this?
      > > >
      > > > You can see my set up at:
      > > > http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D0107
      > <http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D0107>
      > > > <http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D0107
      > <http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D0107>>
      > > >
      > > > I rapid-fire up to weatherunderground and it works very well.
      > > >
      > http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLDAVIE6
      > <http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLDAVIE6>
      >

      > <http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLDAVIE6
      > <http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLDAVIE6>>
      > > >
      > > > I was going to modify it a bit by moving the hydrometer and rain
      > > > collector off my roof and mount it on my fence (you can barely see it
      > > > in picture #1). I am getting too high temp readings at the high point
      > > > of the day coming off my roof, so I was gonna move it down on a fence
      > > > post.
      > > >
      > > > But it looks like this VUE couldn't work for me since all pieces are
      > > > assembled as one.
      > > >
      > > > Thoughts?
      > > >
      > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>
      > > > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "wuhu_software"

      > Jerry
      > > > mentioned, you have a set of back-up sensors, wires, etc that should
      > > > last for years.

      > you
      > > > can pick up a logger cheap from eBay, the additional cost for the
      > > > logger is not that bad.

      > > > you have to mount the sensors. You also will get the fast updates
> [...]
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic