15510Re: Personal WS suggestions? Davis 6250 Vantage VUE?

  • Joe S
    Nov 3, 2009
      So, I've got the WS-2317. Happy with it for the past two year. Considering an upgrade.

      Is this Davis 6250 Vantage VUE, "the one" now?

      Looking at it, I'm a bit confused. For accurate wind measurements, I'm supposed to mount this high off the ground. But for rain, they want it "close" to the ground.

      Doesn't this all-in-one solution not allow for this?

      You can see my set up at:
      http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/D0107

      I rapid-fire up to weatherunderground and it works very well.
      http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLDAVIE6

      I was going to modify it a bit by moving the hydrometer and rain collector off my roof and mount it on my fence (you can barely see it in picture #1). I am getting too high temp readings at the high point of the day coming off my roof, so I was gonna move it down on a fence post.

      But it looks like this VUE couldn't work for me since all pieces are assembled as one.

      Thoughts?

      > If you are happy with the WS-23XX, that is a good way to go as Jerry mentioned, you have a set of back-up sensors, wires, etc that should last for years.
      >
      > If it were me, I would take a good look at the new Davis Vue. If you can pick up a logger cheap from eBay, the additional cost for the logger is not that bad.
      >
      > Firstly, you get the wireless range and are not limited as to where you have to mount the sensors. You also will get the fast updates without have to run wires that pose a lightning risk depending on where you live. I am guessing that their main sensor suite is also solar powered so that you do not have to worry about keeping batteries fresh.
      >
      > The Davis units also have the greatest accuracy if you are really in to details. The La Crosse unit does well for temperature in comparison, within a degree or two, but it seems that the relative humidity is much further off. Sometimes the La Crosse can be within say 3%, other times as much as 15-20% or more.
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@> wrote:
      > >
      > > If I lost my 2315 I would just get another complete new 2315.
      > > Complete set of spare parts, etc. I think I paid around $105 plus
      > > shipping. LOTS of features for that money.
      > >
      > > Jerry
      > >
      > > At 11:40 AM 10/31/2009, you wrote:
      > >

      > > >Hey guys
      > > >
      > > >I've been on no mail for a while; my Lacrosse WS died (quit
      > > >communicating with the cptr) & I haven't replaced it yet. IIRC it's
      > > >a 2315; worked ok except the wind turbine type sensor seemed
      > > >extremely inaccurate & the rain sensor was a bit off compared to my
      > > >old fashioned weather bureau type (inner & outer tube; measures to
      > > >.01 inch) gage. I'm looking at replacing the station now.
      > > >
      > > >I've found these "affordable" ones on EBay. 270467981157 Oregon
      > > >scientific used, 390090019580 Oregon scientific (used but says fully
      > > >tested), 260490921089 Weatherwise, or another lacrosse
      > > >120486394618. I'd appreciate any input on which you think is the
      > > >best buy or if you know of a "better deal" (IOW better unit in this
      > > >price range or better price) please advise me of the source.
      > > >
      > > >Thanks!
      > > >
      > > >Lew Best near Waco, TX
      > > >Please note new email addy
      > > >lew@