14787Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Average Wind Direction & Speed

  • David Lipper
    Jul 8, 2009
      Actually, I would like simple averaging for wind speed (I guess it does
      that now), including calm (0 mph) samples. Which setting controls this?

      I would like the vector addition for wind direction (i.e. weighted by
      wind speed of each sample).

      wuhu_software wrote:

      > Initially, a long time ago, it was using vectors.
      >
      > Eventually, I just averaged with wind speed (no including zero wind
      > speeds unless you check an option).
      >
      > I cannot recally why the vector approach was abandoned. When I find
      > some time I could make it configurable.
      >
      > Would you want to use the vector approach or just simple averaging?
      >
      > Thanks.

      > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, David Lipper
      > <glenvilleweather@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a question regarding how Wuhu calculates average wind
      > direction and
      > > speed.
      > > As far as I can tell, each has two ways:
      > >
      > > Average direction can be based on vector addition including wind
      > speed (in
      > > other words weighted by windspeed) or using unit length (that is
      > unweighted
      > > by wind speed).
      > >
      > > For average wind speed, it can be a simple time average; or it can be a
      > > vector based average.
      > >
      > > How does Wuhu calculate it? Or is it configurable?
      > >
      > > I found this page (http://www.webmet.com/met_monitoring/62.html
      > <http://www.webmet.com/met_monitoring/62.html>), which
      > > frankly has more detail than I can get through, but its vector and unit
      > > vector descriptions are what I mean, in more formal ways.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic