14572Re: Rain gauge severely overcalculating...need help!

  • denver_lee2001
    Jun 12, 2009

      > Look for any cracks in the outer shield, burn marks anywhere, I'm betting either water got in the shield of the cable or it got fried by a strike.
      >
      > Rick
      > KOHWAPAK1
      > www.wapakweather.com
      > follow us on Twitter @
      > www.twitter.com/wapakweathercom
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "denver_lee2001" <denver_lee2001@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello everyone.
      > > My Gauge began severly over calculating rainfall this morning during a T-shower. I am a member of Cocorahs and have a NWS certified gauge and It measures a 24 hr total of 0.65" while the station one shows a whopping 2.69" !
      > >
      > > I checked the history and found it jumped an inch during a 5 minute interval( have history set to register @ 5 Min. interval) @ 10:30-10:30 a.m.. There was a previous huge jump(10 inches!, of which i cleared) exactly 2 hours earlier.?
      > >
      > > I am in hopes something simple is happenning here and can be remedied easily, although fear lightning may have somehow affected it although there were no close strikes during each occurence.?.
      > >
      > > I greatly appreciate any help with this.
      > > Sincerely, Denver
      > >
      >Thanks for the replies!
      I found the problem. Somehow, a small thread of wire from the right wire was touching the left wire. Don't know how or what caused the wire to do this?? Also, what appeared to be snail trails were all inside the unit of which was rather damp, so that along could of been what caused that wire to spring out and touch the other,I suppose.
      I, along with fixing the wiring, did a thorough cleaning of the Gauge. More rain fell after doing all this and it registered correctly.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic