      From: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of wuhu_software
      Sent: Tuesday, 2 August 2005 11:17 PM
      To: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Replacement for Heavyweather.

      David,

      Unfortunately WUHU is currently only able to collect the weather data
      from the station via HeavyWeather output. The Heavyweather
      application is currently writing the currdat.lst file once per minute
      (even in wired mode that updates the Heavyweather display every 9
      seconds). It may update the data on the screen, but that
      is not available to us. This is a horrible limitation to have,
      especially when we are interested in events of a very short duration
      like wind gust data.

      As an example I experienced a severe storm last month. The winds were
      calm prior to a wind gust that came through the area. I would
      estimate the winds were at least 50-60 mph. Many large trees in the
      area fell, including a large one that narrowly missed my home. When I
      checked the recorded weather gust data, the highest wind that I was
      able to catch was 25 mph. Very disappointing.

      For this reason I posted a message about writing a replacement for
      Heavyweather. Ideally, it would be able to read the weather data
      every 9 seconds or so (as Heavyweather does), and also output this
      data to currdat.lst. It would also be desireable to have a nice user
      interface with gauges, graphs, and so on.

      The only road block I see with writing a replacement is the support
      for the 36xx series. The 23xx series protocol has been successfully
      decoded and the source code is available in C from the open2300
      source code project (see links).

      The alternative to re-writing Heavyweather is to contact LaCrosse and
      ask them for a couple of updates.

      1) Faster update rates for currdat.lst. As mentioned, Heavyweather is
      writing this file only once per minute. I have already requested this
      modification myself.

      2) Better error checking on the weather data. The data sent to
      currdat.lst may or not be checked for errors. My guess is that it is
      not checked.

      I am a bit leery of waiting for LaCrosse to modify their application.
      If the weather enthusiasts are not complaining, there is little
      motivation to do so.

      Thoughts?

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"
      <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
      > I have very limited programming skills (I can program in MS VB) but
      > would like to assist anyway I can. I am most interested in
      accurate
      > and timely wind gust information whether it be graphical or not but
      > a line chart is perhaps the most useful for me - one line for
      > average and one line for gust (or any other means of indicating a
      > trend)
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > David Higgins
      > E14
      > Canberra, Australia
      > http://users.bigpond.com/higginsdj

      > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > All,
      > >
      > > I am interested in writing a replacement for Heavyweather for the
      > > Windows platform. The current heavyweather software writes to the
      > > currdat.lst file only once per minute, even though the data is
      > > collected every 8 seconds in wired mode. This can result in a
      loss
      > of
      > > wind gust data.
      > >
      > > I had submitted a request to the authors of Heavyweather asking
      > them
      > > to write the currdat.lst file whenever the weather data changes
      > > rather than once per minute although I do not have much
      confidence
      > > that they will do so.
      > >
      > > The other day I experienced a severe storm with high winds. I
      > would
      > > estimate that the wind speed was at least 60 mph at it's peak.
      The
      > > unit was only able to capture speeds at 25 and 22 mph over a 10
      > > minute period. If the station were updating at 8 seconds, I would
      > > have probably accurately captured the peak windspeed.
      > >
      > > Since the Heavyweather application cannot accurately capture
      > rapidly
      > > changing wind speeds, I would like to write a replacement for the
      > > Heavyweather application.
      > >
      > > Although I could use open2300 to extract data from the unit, the
      > > consequence would be a loss of the graphical user interface with
      > > gauges and controls.
      > >
      > > The other possibility is to just display the weather data in a
      > plain
      > > jane text form on WUHU. This would not be as pretty as
      > Heavyweather
      > > but it would get the job done.
      > >
      > > If anyone has some programming experience and would like to help
      > me
      > > writing a replacement for Heavyweather, let me know.
      > >
      > > Thanks.

      Yahoo! Groups Links