11935Re: error 217

    Aug 9, 2008
      Arnold,

      Thanks for the suggestion.

      The newer Steema does have the ability to dump charts to graphic
      files, that would be a nice feature to have. That would allow you to
      have nice graphics on your personal website without turning it in to a
      major database or php project.

      Right now, I cannot see investing any more money in ActiveX stuff.
      Most companies do not offer the use of ActiveX and .Net under one
      license, so I cannot see spending the money.

      I would like to write a WUHU2 someday, using C#. There are a few nice
      packages for gauges and charts out there and they are pretty pricey.
      Not surprisingly, they are all about $600 or so. At that point I would
      need to take donations before creating the program or I would need to
      charge from the start and invest the money myself.

      The only other need for money would be access to new stations that
      need to be supported. So far I have been pretty lucky when
      implementing new station types when I do not have access to the equipment.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001"
      <alrjr2001@...> wrote:

      > I fully understand & have been sung by some poorly implemented new
      > software in the past with my graphics business. It really turns on off
      > when a company treats an early adopter poorly instead of helping out &
      > gaining a customer for life! Unfortunately good customer service is
      > hard to find these days but when I do experience it I make the parties
      > that be know I sincerely appreciate it & believe me I appreciate what
      > you've done in creating the WUHU product:-) Have you ever considered
      > setting up a PayPal account for users to give a small donation if they
      > like the product? That could help defray cosys of upgrades, etc.
      > (though in this case I understand you not wanting to give Steema
      > anything more!).
      >
      > Arnold In The Smokies

      > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Arnold,
      > >
      > > Ok, I did not mean for this post to turn in to a novel, but here it
      > > goes...
      > >
      > > The sad story to this whole runtime error (in turn causing
      > > installation errors) is the following.
      > >
      > > I bought this TeeChart ActiveX object back in 98-99' or so when the
      > > company was first starting out (Steema Software, Catalonia, Spain). It
      > > was a new product and it had bugs. It was touted on the Microsoft
      > > vendor site as one of the top ActiveX offerings available at that
      > > time. This was back when Microsoft was still pushing the ActiveX
      > > technology (aka OLE - Object linking and embedding, aka VB OCX, aka
      > > COM). Now MS has all but abandoned COM but they supports it.
      > >
      > > When I first created an application implementing the control, this bug
      > > quickly cropped up and I reported it. I was told to define the printer
      > > to avoid the problem. That allowed me to at least continue
      > > development. I assumed that a free upgrade would be forthcoming. I
      > > asked for a patch and was told that it would be in the next release.
      > > Months passed by before the next release was available.
      > >
      > > Of course the next release required an upgrade fee.
      > >
      > > Since that time, Teechart has become very popular and has grown more
      > > much more expensive. I believe the upgrade fee for existing customers
      > > is around $150-$250. The fee is based on how out of date your
      > version is.
      > >
      > > It is very disappointing to me that a software company can release
      > > such a glaring bug to it's customers then put them on hold until the
      > > next release of the software, then demand more money to get the
      > > upgrade to get the patch. That is what happens when a software
      > > companies lose touch with their customer base as most do once they
      > > reach a certain size.
      > >
      > > Although Teechart is a pretty cool ActiveX object for drawing charts,
      > > I am hesitant to invest a red cent given the past behavior of the
      > > company. ActiveX is really a dead technology anyway so I probably will
      > > never upgrade.
      > >
      > > If an when I do port WUHU to another environment, there are several
> [...]
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic