11934Re: error 217

  • alrjr2001
    Aug 9, 2008
      I fully understand & have been sung by some poorly implemented new
      software in the past with my graphics business. It really turns on off
      when a company treats an early adopter poorly instead of helping out &
      gaining a customer for life! Unfortunately good customer service is
      hard to find these days but when I do experience it I make the parties
      that be know I sincerely appreciate it & believe me I appreciate what
      you've done in creating the WUHU product:-) Have you ever considered
      setting up a PayPal account for users to give a small donation if they
      like the product? That could help defray cosys of upgrades, etc.
      (though in this case I understand you not wanting to give Steema
      anything more!).

      Arnold In The Smokies

> [...]
      >
      > Of course the next release required an upgrade fee.
      >
      > Since that time, Teechart has become very popular and has grown more
      > much more expensive. I believe the upgrade fee for existing customers
      > is around $150-$250. The fee is based on how out of date your
      version is.

      > It is very disappointing to me that a software company can release
      > such a glaring bug to it's customers then put them on hold until the
      > next release of the software, then demand more money to get the
      > upgrade to get the patch. That is what happens when a software
      > companies lose touch with their customer base as most do once they
      > reach a certain size.
      >
      > Although Teechart is a pretty cool ActiveX object for drawing charts,
      > I am hesitant to invest a red cent given the past behavior of the
      > company. ActiveX is really a dead technology anyway so I probably will
      > never upgrade.
      >
      > If an when I do port WUHU to another environment, there are several
      > other packages that would be a viable alternative. Given that they
      > screwed me over the first time, I will probably not even consider them
      > for WUHU or any other project.
      >
      > I have spent hours trying to figure out a way around this issue by
      > attempting to detect the printer before launching the Teechart object
      > only to discover that Windows might have not fully loaded various
      > drivers related to the printer, blah blah blah.
      >
      > So anyway this was an expensive lesson so far as my time is concerned.
      > The time I have spent documenting problems, finding work-arounds, has
      > far exceeded the cost of the original product, or even the cost of the
      > latest offering.
      >
      > Lesson learned.
      >
      > So in the end you are correct that a component implemented using a
      > different operating system probably would not have produced the
      > miserable results I had experienced but that is what we have to work
      with.

      > Personally I do hope that Linux gains greater acceptance as I am sick
      > and tired of vendors like MS or Apple dictating the buggy operating
      > systems that we are forced to use.
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001"
      > <alrjr2001@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey Jeff its a PC what do you expect:-) Seriously if this program were
      > > running on the Mac platform we'd be seeing a lot less of these "what
      > > changed" type of posts. I'm going to install WUHU today on an old
      > > laptop and I hope it goes well & is stable. Please note I DO NOT fault
      > > the author of the program in any way nor do I want to start the Mac
      > > vs. PC argument as it doesnt accomplish anything its just my opinion
      > > that the Macs OS is far more stable then Windows.
      > >
      > > Arnold In The Smokies
      > >
      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Waltermire"
      > > <jwaltermire@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I've been running Wuhu since April and it's been great. I started
      > > > running 2.16-32 a couple of weeks ago now with no problems.
      Starting
      > > > last night I'm getting error 217 on startup. I checked that my
      > > > printers are still in control panel and they are. Any other
      ideas? I
      > > > didn't change anything so that's the strange part.
      > > >
      > > > Jeff

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic