117Re: Bad upload data

  • Mike Frerkes
    Jul 30, 2005
      I was running an earlier version (maybe 127 or 126). I have just
      installed the 129 version, so I'll see if anything changes with
      respect to this problem.

      If you are experiencing wind-related errors, consider using PVC pipe
      for the mast. I was using metal pipe up until a few weeks ago. On
      days above 90, the metal would get hot and cause siginificant errors
      in the wind data, even in wireless mode. After switching to PVC, I
      was able to run the unit cabled, and now even on 90-degree days my
      data is error-free.

      Thanks for you help and suggestions with my problem.

      Mike

      <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
      > Mike,
      >
      > On my system, I seem to run for weeks without a single bad
      reading.
      > Other times, I will have windspeed errors combined with other
      errors
      > in rapid succession. I have not been able to find a pattern to it.
      >
      > The other possibility for these bad reading being written to
      > currdat.lst and not to the history file might possibly be a bug in
      > Heavyweather itself. It is difficult to say.
      >
      > One thing that is for certain is that Heavyweather is writting
      bogus
      > data.
      >
      > Here is an example of a bad reading put out by Heavyweather:
      >
      > [rain_24h]
      > mm = "15370.0"
      > inch = "605.11"
      >
      > This was found in the currdat.lst file. As you can see,
      Heavyweather
      > is writing bogus data for both mm and inch measurements. The same
      is
      > true for bad temps and windspeed data as well.
      >
      > These bogus readings will be overwritten on the next update
      performed
      > by Heavyweather (which updates the currdat.lst file once per
      minute).

      > As I mentioned before, I attempted to catch some of these errors.
      For
> [...]
      > I've
      > > registered two in the same day. The only common thread is that
      > they
      > > occur within the first five minutes of each hour AND they always
      > > take place between 12am and 5am.

      > > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Mike,
      > > >
      > > > What is interesting is that the Heavyweather application is
      > indeed
      > > > writing bogus data to the currdat.lst file but somehow this
      does
      > > not
      > > > make in to the history.dat file.
      > > >
      > > > There are a couple of theories why this is the case. Firstly,
      the
      > > > currdat.lst file is written once per minute by Heavyweather,
      no
      > > once
      > > > per update (9 seconds in wired mode). Since it reading 5
      samples
      > > per
      > > > history file save, it might just be random. The other theory
      is
      > > that
      > > > somehow it can detect bad data and rejects it internally.
      > > >
      > > > A way to catch the Heavyweather application writing bad data
      is
      > > use
      > > > the alarms/events. You can set an alarm for low temperature
      for
      > > > instance. When you hear the audio, open currdat.lst with
      notepad
      > > within
      > > > 1 minute. You can see that the bogus data is being generated
      by
      > > > Heavyweather.
      > > >
      > > > From what I gather from these forums, the best way to
      eliminate
      > > bogus
      > > > data is to build a shielded cable. I have not modified my
      wiring,
      > > but
      > > > it will be interesting to see if this corrects the problem. If
      > > anyone
      > > > has modified the cable, please post your results.
      > > >
      > > > I have attempted to detect and eliminate bogus wind readings
      and
      > > > others. I am not sure if I had done the same on version 129
      that
      > > is
      > > > available from the alternative download page. I believe I
      posted
      > > > message on the rules I used to attempt to detect bad data
      > > previously.
      > > >
      > > > If you have any idea or rules that can be applied to the data,
      > let
      > > me
      > > > know. I am willing to modify the application if we can find
      > simple
      > > > rules to detect bogus data.
      > > >
      > > > P.S. Are there any source of EM radiation, power dips, or
      > anything
      > > else
      > > > that happens at that time around your home? Just wondering.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic