116Re: Bad upload data

    Jul 30, 2005
      Mike,

      On my system, I seem to run for weeks without a single bad reading.
      Other times, I will have windspeed errors combined with other errors
      in rapid succession. I have not been able to find a pattern to it.

      The other possibility for these bad reading being written to
      currdat.lst and not to the history file might possibly be a bug in
      Heavyweather itself. It is difficult to say.

      One thing that is for certain is that Heavyweather is writting bogus
      data.

      Here is an example of a bad reading put out by Heavyweather:

      [rain_24h]
      mm = "15370.0"
      inch = "605.11"

      This was found in the currdat.lst file. As you can see, Heavyweather
      is writing bogus data for both mm and inch measurements. The same is
      true for bad temps and windspeed data as well.

      These bogus readings will be overwritten on the next update performed
      by Heavyweather (which updates the currdat.lst file once per minute).

      As I mentioned before, I attempted to catch some of these errors. For
      instance, when reading temperature, if the current reading is not
      within 10 degrees of the average temperature readings over the past
      ten minutes, then the software will use the last valid temperature
      reading (that passed the above test) as the current temperature
      reading.

      These features were added in one of the later versions and is
      definetly in version 129.

      Which version are you running? If you are running version 129 and
      still seeing these bogus temperature readings when running version
      129 let me know. I can look over the code to see if there is a
      mistake.

      Thanks.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Frerkes"
      <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
      > There are no sources of EM interference I'm aware of. I have
      > learned that you should never use a metal pole as a mast for the
      > anemometer, however. A couple of weeks ago, I switched to PVC pipe
      > and the wind readings are now flawless, even with a cabled
      > connection. Before the switch, I couldn't use the cabled
      connection
      > because the wind readings would be horribly inaccurate.
      >
      > I'm puzzled why the bad readings (i.e zero degree temp) DO NOT show
      > up on my HeavyWeather program under the min/max tabs for
      temperature
      > and dewpoint, or on the base unit's display. There is no rhyme or
      > reason to their occurence. Sometimes I may go an entire week
      > without a false reading. There have been a few instances where
      I've
> [...]
      > > per update (9 seconds in wired mode). Since it reading 5 samples
      > per
      > > history file save, it might just be random. The other theory is
      > that
      > > somehow it can detect bad data and rejects it internally.
      > >
      > > A way to catch the Heavyweather application writing bad data is
      > use
      > > the alarms/events. You can set an alarm for low temperature for
      > > instance. When you hear the audio, open currdat.lst with notepad
      > within
      > > 1 minute. You can see that the bogus data is being generated by
      > > Heavyweather.
      > >
      > > From what I gather from these forums, the best way to eliminate
      > bogus
      > > data is to build a shielded cable. I have not modified my wiring,
      > but
      > > it will be interesting to see if this corrects the problem. If
      > anyone
      > > has modified the cable, please post your results.
      > >
      > > I have attempted to detect and eliminate bogus wind readings and
      > > others. I am not sure if I had done the same on version 129 that
      > is
      > > available from the alternative download page. I believe I posted
      > > message on the rules I used to attempt to detect bad data
      > previously.
      > >
      > > If you have any idea or rules that can be applied to the data,
      let
      > me
      > > know. I am willing to modify the application if we can find
      simple
      > > rules to detect bogus data.
      > >
      > > P.S. Are there any source of EM radiation, power dips, or
      anything
      > else
      > > that happens at that time around your home? Just wondering.
      > >
      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Frerkes"
      > > <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
      > > > I have also experienced erroneous data uploads, almost always a
      > > > temperature and dew point reading of 0. I've traced the
      > defective
      > > > data to the WUHU program itself, because those extreme readings
      > are
      > > > not registered on HeavyWeather or the La Crosse base unit.
      > > >
      > > > My false readings always seem to appear in the early morning
      > hours
      > > > between 12am and 5am, and always within the first five minutes
      > of the
      > > > hour (e.g. 1:03am or 4:05am). I have the upload interval set
      at
      > five
      > > > minutes, so it might be related to that in some way. There has
      > never
      > > > been a bad reading after the first five minutes of each hour.
      > > >
      > > > These incorrect readings are uploaded to both Weather
      > Underground and
      > > > CWOP, so I've ruled out any data glitches on their end.
      > Hopefully
      > > > this information may assist you in isolating the cause of the
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic