115Re: Bad upload data

  • Mike Frerkes
    Jul 29, 2005
      There are no sources of EM interference I'm aware of. I have
      learned that you should never use a metal pole as a mast for the
      anemometer, however. A couple of weeks ago, I switched to PVC pipe
      and the wind readings are now flawless, even with a cabled
      connection. Before the switch, I couldn't use the cabled connection
      because the wind readings would be horribly inaccurate.

      I'm puzzled why the bad readings (i.e zero degree temp) DO NOT show
      up on my HeavyWeather program under the min/max tabs for temperature
      and dewpoint, or on the base unit's display. There is no rhyme or
      reason to their occurence. Sometimes I may go an entire week
      without a false reading. There have been a few instances where I've
      registered two in the same day. The only common thread is that they
      occur within the first five minutes of each hour AND they always
      take place between 12am and 5am.

      <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

> [...]
      > writing bogus data to the currdat.lst file but somehow this does
      not
      > make in to the history.dat file.
      >
      > There are a couple of theories why this is the case. Firstly, the
      > currdat.lst file is written once per minute by Heavyweather, no
      once
      > per update (9 seconds in wired mode). Since it reading 5 samples
      per
      > history file save, it might just be random. The other theory is
      that
      > somehow it can detect bad data and rejects it internally.
      >
      > A way to catch the Heavyweather application writing bad data is to
      use
      > the alarms/events. You can set an alarm for low temperature for
      > instance. When you hear the audio, open currdat.lst with notepad
      within
      > 1 minute. You can see that the bogus data is being generated by
      > Heavyweather.
      >
      > From what I gather from these forums, the best way to eliminate
      bogus
      > data is to build a shielded cable. I have not modified my wiring,
      but
      > it will be interesting to see if this corrects the problem. If
      anyone
      > has modified the cable, please post your results.
      >
      > I have attempted to detect and eliminate bogus wind readings and
      > others. I am not sure if I had done the same on version 129 that
      is
      > available from the alternative download page. I believe I posted a
      > message on the rules I used to attempt to detect bad data
      previously.

      > If you have any idea or rules that can be applied to the data, let
      me
      > know. I am willing to modify the application if we can find simple
      > rules to detect bogus data.
      >
      > P.S. Are there any source of EM radiation, power dips, or anything
      else
      > that happens at that time around your home? Just wondering.
      >
      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Frerkes"
      > <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
      > > I have also experienced erroneous data uploads, almost always a
      > > temperature and dew point reading of 0. I've traced the
      defective
      > > data to the WUHU program itself, because those extreme readings
      are
      > > not registered on HeavyWeather or the La Crosse base unit.
      > >
      > > My false readings always seem to appear in the early morning
      hours
      > > between 12am and 5am, and always within the first five minutes
      of the
      > > hour (e.g. 1:03am or 4:05am). I have the upload interval set at
      five
      > > minutes, so it might be related to that in some way. There has
      never
      > > been a bad reading after the first five minutes of each hour.
      > >
      > > These incorrect readings are uploaded to both Weather
      Underground and
      > > CWOP, so I've ruled out any data glitches on their end.
      Hopefully
      > > this information may assist you in isolating the cause of the
      problem.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic