10445Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: WMR-100 Support

  • Radu Eugen
    Mar 5, 2008
      Dear Juha, I've been thinking about this thing with La Crosse stations and somehow I guess they don't care too much about the people who want to use their stations to transmit data on the internet. I've noticed that they tried to improve the response of their stations between the base stations and the outside sensors. Compared to 2300 series 3600 heavy weather pro software is improved, especially in the graphic part. They address their products to the clients not bothering too much in what purpose the clients want to use their stations. It's a pity that they don't see further down the line but that's the conclusion I came to. So the message is, if you don't like buy from somebody else. Now let's talk a little bit about Peet Bros, well, I studied their offer and I'm a little bit puzzled, I couldn't figure it out what is the time response between the base unit and the outside sensors, and the pressure if I remember correctly is between 900 and some millibars and 1080 or so. If I decide to take this station to a higher altittude what I'm I going to do with it ?! And one more thing, can you use your anemometer at 10 meters high and the temperature sensor at 2 meters at the same time ?! I expressed these questions to them but so far I got no answer. If you will install your station, please, write me how it works and if you discovered some informations that I couldn't get from their presentation. All the best and happy weather watching ! Eugen Radu, Oradea, Romania

      Juha Jäntti <jjantti2@...> wrote:
      Eugen,

      What I said about LaCrosse WS-2300 series stations are all based on my
      view of the situation and experience. I started to fear the worst when
      our local distributor announced that WS-2300 and 2305 are no longer
      available for sale and only WS-2308 was available. What I have seen is
      that WS-230x stations are the best if you have a COM port on your
      computer. I expect people will suffer some ill effects with the new
      WS-2350 station, which is effectively the same as WS-2300, but it is
      shipped with a USB-RS232 converter.

      It's a nice handout from LaCrosse, but I've heard that the converter
      doesn't work with all people. Of course one can take the converter off
      and use the normal COM port instead but it's not a good business
      strategy for LaCrosse to raise the price of the station by
      implementing something with the baseline station that isn't
      extensively tested. So if the converter doesn't work, you paid extra
      for nothing. The price paid may be marginal (a few dollars/euros) , but
      it's still your money.

      I think LaCrosse doesn't give a good nickle about what the weather
      enthusiasts need and hope and just push new models into markets and
      expect people to happily accept anything they offer. This sort of
      ignorance makes me angry.

      If their sales drop, they *might* rethink their strategy, but frankly,
      I don't think they would do anything radical like bringing back their
      most popular model for sale. They would probably modify their latest
      model to better fit for the enthusiasts. It may still be not enough;
      They will probably still force you to use their own software that
      doesn't communicate with CWOP and others and keep the protol a secret
      - again.

      For the Peet Bros PWS, it not yet in use. I received it yesterday,
      along with the package number 1 from the USA, containing the parts not
      available right away from Germany. I'm still waiting for package 2,
      containing the rain gauge I ordered a week ago. At first I have to
      take down the LaCrosse station before I can install the Peet Bros station.

      Once I get it online, I'll download the latest Beta version and notify
      about it here. The station will transmit weather data to AWEKAS, CWOP
      and Weather Underground, as does my WS-2305 station right now.

      My station IDs are CW4473 for CWOP and IUUSIMAA2 for WU.

      Best Regards,
      Juha
      Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
      Helsinki, Finland