New APRS at JOTA capabilities

  • KB4YTM
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2007
      This fall during the JOTA (Jamboree on the air) scouting event, you
      can use a new tool to try and make contacts with scouts from around
      the world via APRS.

      There is a new server called CQSRVR that will allow you to 'sign in'
      and send a cq message that other scouting aprs stations will see. This
      will then allow you to have direct communications via aprs with the
      scouts from anywhere in the world.

      I won't go into too much detail, but I will post a couple of links
      below that explain it better.

      I tested it earlier and made a contact with WB4APR-3 who was also
      using the new CQSRVR.

      To use it, this is all there is to it:
      Send a msg on APRS to CQSRVR and in the message, put:
      CQ SCOUTS hi, richard from Tn calling cq

      Of course, you would use your name or whatever msg you send. The CQ
      SCOUTS actually logs you into the cqsrvr machine, then all stations
      that send messages to CQ SCOUTS pop up on your pc. This will allow you
      to get the callsign of the station calling cq, and allow you to make a
      direct contact via aprs messaging. The system limits you calling cq to
      once every 30 minutes. And once you give the initial cq, you stay
      logged in for a period of 12 hours. So you will see ALL other stations
      that send a cq for that amount of time.

      Take a look at these sites and let us know if you have success using
      this next weekend (Oct 20-21) during the JOTA. Of course you can use
      it now to see if anyone else is testing it to get a feel for it.

      http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprsjota.html

      http://www.aprs-is.net/cqsrvr.htm

      73 for now,
      Richard