ANN: Tabbed MDI and Tabbed Frame for WTL

  • dbowen@es.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2002
      I've uploaded to the Files section of the group an "alpha" version of some classes for doing a tabbed MDI and a tabbed frame. These are meant to look similar to what you get with the Visual Studio .Net IDE: the MDI tabs, the tabs used in the docking windows (with "output", "command window", etc.), and tabs that look like flat buttons for 2 views in one child frame (like editing an HTML page with the HTML/Design buttons). There's things that are missing though, like "paging" when the tabs for the MDI children don't fit the width of the display area, and multiple "MDI containers", etc.

      The tabs are done using the excellent "Cool Tab controls" framework from Bjarke Viks√łe (http://home.worldonline.dk/~viksoe/cooltab.htm), but with an updated version of CDotNetTabCtrl, and a new class "CDotNetButtonTabCtrl" (and with a couple of updates to the base class and one of Bjarke's other files: atlgdix.h). My update of CDotNetTabCtrl includes the updates that Pascal Binggeli made (which he called CDotNetTabCtrl2), plus more (see the history in CoolTabCtrls.h). Bjarke said he will try to incorporate my updates into his stuff, and that its OK for me to post these here.

      I've included the classes plus two samples using them:

      "SimpleTabbedMDIDemo"
      - Created through WTL 3.1 app wizard, choosing "MDI Application", and an "edit" window as the view window.
      - In CMainFrame, inherit from CTabbedMDIFrameWindowImpl instead of CMDIFrameWindowImpl (replace 3 instances of CMDIFrameWindowImpl with CTabbedMDIFrameWindowImpl)

      "TabDemo"
      - Uses the tabbed MDI just like SimpleTabbedMDIDemo
      - Uses a popup "tabbed frame" with CDotNetTabCtrl for showing 3 different views
      - Uses an MDI child "tabbed frame" with CDotNetButtonTabCtrl to view web pages, switching between "HTML" view and "Source" view

      I don't have a personal web site at the moment, so this stuff is only in the files section for wtl@yahoogroups.com, and hopefully soon on Bjarke's site. The ZIP is called "TabDemo.zip" and contains the updated "CoolTabCtrls.h" and "atlgdix.h" originally from Bjarke, my new files "TabbedMDI.h" and "TabbedFrame.h", and the 2 sample applications. There's a separate file "TabDemoScreenShot.png" you can look at for a screen shot. I'll be evolving this and uploading any updates to the files section for wtl@yahoogroups.com. When this gets evolved a little bit more, I'm planning on doing a CodeProject article about it and explain it all in much more detail.

      Any comments, bug fixes or suggestions are appreciated!

      -Daniel Bowen
    • ramon_casellas
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2002
        --- In wtl@y..., <dbowen@e...> wrote:
        > I've uploaded to the Files

        Thank you.
        No comments (yet!)

        Regards,
        R.
      • zhutongzhjd
        Message 3 of 5 , May 18, 2002
          Sorry , sir:
          I cannot find the file: DotNetTabCtrl.h
          Can you tell me where to get them?
          Without them, I cannot compile SDITabbedSample

          thanks
        • dbowen@es.com
          Message 4 of 5 , May 18, 2002
            DotNetTabCtrl.h is something that I wrote that Sergey is using in his latest revision of his WTL Docking Windows on codeproject. It is based on CCustomTabCtrl in CoolTabCtrls.h that Bjarke Viksoe originally wrote and that I've modified substantial portions of. It looks like Sergey decided not to distribute these files (which is good, because there are some updates on the way).

            If you look at where the compile error happens (and in the readme), there's a little note that explains about it.

            Things have been a little crazy for me recently, but I'm getting back to it and will have a codeproject article about this soon. There's a couple more features that I want to get in before I do. I worked with Sergey on a couple of details that he needed, so you'll need the latest version that I've recently uploaded to:

            This replaces any previous versions of the "TabDemo.zip" file that I've had up on the WTL group files for a little while now. If you've used this before, be sure to read the history in the header files CoolTabCtrls.h and DotNetTabCtrl.h. I also have a new sample in there.

            -Daniel

            Message 5 of 5 , May 19, 2002
              Dear Daniel:
              Thank you very much for your help.