Docking Windows

  • Tim Tabor
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 2, 2001
      Lots of interest in these. Just wanted to make sure
      everyone knows about Bjarke's sample ...

      http://home.worldonline.dk/~viksoe/fancyui.htm

      // tim
    • Pascal Binggeli
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 2, 2001

        > > I'm not sure adding classes will burden WTL in any way
        >
        > Of course adding classes will burden WTL. Someone will have
        > to write them and maintain them. I'd personally prefer
        > Nenad to stick with his program of fixing bugs and keeping up
        > w/ the OS, and avoid the siren song of eye-candification.

        I can just agree with you. I don't mean that it should be Nenad work...

        > I'm sure all of us would welcome additional 3P classes,
        > that we could choose to include or not.

        I'm just curious and ignorant, but what does 3P means.

        > // tim

        Pascal
      • Tim Tabor
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 2, 2001

          Sorry, 3P is "third party" - meaning in this context
          code developed by parties other than the author of the
          underlying library. This could be commercial
          - like Stingray's Objective Toolkit, or open-source - like
          the boost libraries, or samples - like Bjarke's excellent code.

          http://www.roguewave.com/corp/press/pressrel/pr15feb00.cfm

          http://www.boost.org/libs/libraries.htm

          http://home.worldonline.dk/~viksoe/index.htm

          // tim
        • Ilker Aksen
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 2, 2001
            thirdparty..

            ian
            > > I'm not sure adding classes will burden WTL in any way
            >
            > Of course adding classes will burden WTL. Someone will have
            > to write them and maintain them. I'd personally prefer
            > Nenad to stick with his program of fixing bugs and keeping up
            > w/ the OS, and avoid the siren song of eye-candification.

            I can just agree with you. I don't mean that it should be Nenad work...

            > I'm sure all of us would welcome additional 3P classes,
            > that we could choose to include or not.

            I'm just curious and ignorant, but what does 3P means.

            > // tim

            Pascal

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Chris Russell
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 2, 2001
              I agree with Tim - one man's chrome is another man's lead. And besides Nenad
              already has his hands full just keeping the core features we have current
              with the compiler and ATL development. This is where I think some sort of
              collaborative effort to work on extensions would be useful. Have a look at
              Bjarke Viksoe's fantastic website that has many useful extensions to WTL
              (including a docking window implementation). His page is located at
              http://home.worldonline.dk/~viksoe/all_wtl.htm. Hats off to Mr. Viksoe and
              the other's who are taking the just write it approach that leaves WTL to do
              what WTL does so well.

              - Chris

              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 2, 2001
                "Menningen, Kevin" wrote:

                > Hi Noel,
                >
                > >Like docking,
                > Docking might be something worthwhile to add to to WTL. In my app we just
                > use splitter windows, which is good enough for us.
                Me too

                > >a data-linkable grid for instance, or everything you find
                > That's not included in MFC or ATL, which is why there are third-party
                > controls. Developer Express (www.devexpress.com) makes a good 100% ATL
                > ActiveX control (XPressQuantumGrid). There are others too. ActiveX controls
                > fit perfectly well in the ATL/WTL framework.

                Thank you for the tip, I'm going to have a look. However, having a
                binary ATL ActiveX is not the same thing that having a source/template
                library.

                > Using WTL, customized standard controls are easy to write as well, since so
                > many base classes are already provided.
                >
                > In short, WTL provides the basic, standard Windows control support needed by
                > all Windows developers. Anything custom you need is just that, a custom
                > control to meet your specific needs. I don't want a bloated WTL library
                > filled with trinkets that come and go out of style.
                >

                > I hope you agree.

                Agree, but I like the idea of widgets on top of wtl (not part of it)
                that could be shared among project and developer
                > Best regards,
                Best Regards
                Noel

                > --Kevin

                GISTEK software
                Gis consultant.
                gistek@...
                www.gistek.net
              • Mark A. Gregory
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 3, 2001
                  I second this, I would really like Nenad to fix bugs AND to release WTL
                  for ATL 7.0, oh and today would be nice :)

                  I personally would like to see one spot where I new all the WTL stuff
                  was sitting, so
                  we should do this. I do not agree with doing Microsoft's job for them,
                  so let's stick to the add-ons.

                  cheers
                  Mark

                  > I'm not sure adding classes will burden WTL in any way

                  Of course adding classes will burden WTL. Someone will have
                  to write them and maintain them. I'd personally prefer
                  Nenad to stick with his program of fixing bugs and keeping up
                  w/ the OS, and avoid the siren song of eye-candification.

                  I'm sure all of us would welcome additional 3P classes,
                  that we could choose to include or not.

                  // tim

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  Click Here!
                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=210675.1710593.3234377.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                  007181:HM/A=806910/R=0/*https://www.consumerinfo.com/cb/yahooccms/form_o
                  nline_a1.asp?sc=14856015>

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=210675.1710593.3234377.1261774/D=egrou
                  pmail/S=1705007181:HM/A=806910/rand=347861781>

                • gakko@sleepy.dk
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 20, 2001
                    If you want docking, take a look at Bjarke Viksoes page here:
                    http://home.worldonline.dk/~viksoe/atldock.htm

                    /Jesper