RE: [wtl] Re: Let's do it for real

  • Mark A. Gregory
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
      Is Nenad out there? We would like his participation in this discussion,
      and we do appreciate his assistance
      cheers
      Mark

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
        Hi,

        I agree with Tim on this: what will an extra/new site add to the whole
        thing?

        It would be more practical to address issues like WTL modification
        distribution.
        We could, for instance, agree on what patch system to use.

        // tt

        > If I could rewrite my original post, I would replace iDevResource with
        > Company-X. So:> I don't like the idea of a Company-X logo on every page.
        > Sorry Lindsey, my comments were unnecessarily directed at iDevResource.

        > submit anything you want to it. Just contact us at
        > info@... with the content you want adding and we will
        > put it up. As many of you will know, there are already articles there
        > from the likes of Dr Richard Grimes, and more would be useful for all
        > WTL developers everywhere.
        >
        > But we're talking about creating a SourceForge "Project Homepage" with
        > content that is closely coupled with code in a revision-controlled
        > repository. In order to serve the list members most directly, I think it's
        > important to give the people working on the code repository control over
        the
        > server that hosts this "Project Homepage." The neat-and-tidy way to do
        this
        > securely is to park it on some rented server space provided by one of the
        > professional hosting shops and give project contributors the password.
        It's
        > not really about trying to replace any existing resource so much as it's
        > about setting up to collaborate on code development and maintenance. Also,
        > this might give some of us on the list who are working with WTL and other
        > web-related technologies an opportunity to solve a practical problem with
        > some educational hacking. I think it could be useful, fun, and everyone
        who
        > wants to participate can.
        >
        > - Chris

      • Taras Tielkes
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
          Hi,

          The problem is that WTL is not free to distribute.
          So the only thing you could put into CVS are the patch file themselves.
          (Assuming you're dealing with patches to the *main WTL headers*). There are
          different "patch file" formats...

          Since most of the bugs will be fixed in the new release, I don't see a
          strong need for this, except for things like a CE port.

          Personally, I am satisfied with the current situation.

          Bugs in WTL itself are fixed by Nenad. (thanks!)
          Lindsey is doing a great job managing this list. (thanks!)
          Additional WTL classes and samples can be posted at the site of preference,
          be it Code Project, IDevResource or a personal site.

          // tt