Re: [wtl] Re: Let's do it for real

  • Chris Russell
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2001
      If I could rewrite my original post, I would replace iDevResource with
      Company-X. So:> I don't like the idea of a Company-X logo on every page.
      Sorry Lindsey, my comments were unnecessarily directed at iDevResource.

      You wrote:

      >>> iDevResource.com, who run this list, have a WTL section and you can
      submit anything you want to it. Just contact us at
      info@... with the content you want adding and we will
      put it up. As many of you will know, there are already articles there
      from the likes of Dr Richard Grimes, and more would be useful for all
      WTL developers everywhere.

      But we're talking about creating a SourceForge "Project Homepage" with
      content that is closely coupled with code in a revision-controlled
      repository. In order to serve the list members most directly, I think it's
      important to give the people working on the code repository control over the
      server that hosts this "Project Homepage." The neat-and-tidy way to do this
      securely is to park it on some rented server space provided by one of the
      professional hosting shops and give project contributors the password. It's
      not really about trying to replace any existing resource so much as it's
      about setting up to collaborate on code development and maintenance. Also,
      this might give some of us on the list who are working with WTL and other
      web-related technologies an opportunity to solve a practical problem with
      some educational hacking. I think it could be useful, fun, and everyone who
      wants to participate can.

      - Chris
    • Mark A. Gregory
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
        Is Nenad out there? We would like his participation in this discussion,
        and we do appreciate his assistance
        cheers
        Mark

        You wrote:

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212180.1660613.3195489.1269402/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        007181:HM/A=812074/R=0/*http://www.verisign.com/cgi-bin/go.cgi?a=b153340
        270003000>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=212180.1660613.3195489.1269402/D=egrou
        pmail/S=1705007181:HM/A=812074/rand=392626476>

      • Taras Tielkes
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
          Hi,

          I agree with Tim on this: what will an extra/new site add to the whole
          thing?

          It would be more practical to address issues like WTL modification
          distribution.
          We could, for instance, agree on what patch system to use.

          // tt

          > If I could rewrite my original post, I would replace iDevResource with
          > Company-X. So:> I don't like the idea of a Company-X logo on every page.
          > Sorry Lindsey, my comments were unnecessarily directed at iDevResource.

          > submit anything you want to it. Just contact us at
          > info@... with the content you want adding and we will
          > put it up. As many of you will know, there are already articles there
          > from the likes of Dr Richard Grimes, and more would be useful for all
          > WTL developers everywhere.
          >
          > But we're talking about creating a SourceForge "Project Homepage" with
          > content that is closely coupled with code in a revision-controlled
          > repository. In order to serve the list members most directly, I think it's
          > important to give the people working on the code repository control over
          the
          > server that hosts this "Project Homepage." The neat-and-tidy way to do
          this
          > securely is to park it on some rented server space provided by one of the
          > professional hosting shops and give project contributors the password.
          It's
          > not really about trying to replace any existing resource so much as it's
          > about setting up to collaborate on code development and maintenance. Also,
          > this might give some of us on the list who are working with WTL and other
          > web-related technologies an opportunity to solve a practical problem with
          > some educational hacking. I think it could be useful, fun, and everyone
          who
          > wants to participate can.
          >
          > - Chris

        • Taras Tielkes
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2001
            Hi,

            The problem is that WTL is not free to distribute.
            So the only thing you could put into CVS are the patch file themselves.
            (Assuming you're dealing with patches to the *main WTL headers*). There are
            different "patch file" formats...

            Since most of the bugs will be fixed in the new release, I don't see a
            strong need for this, except for things like a CE port.

            Personally, I am satisfied with the current situation.

            Bugs in WTL itself are fixed by Nenad. (thanks!)
            Lindsey is doing a great job managing this list. (thanks!)
            Additional WTL classes and samples can be posted at the site of preference,
            be it Code Project, IDevResource or a personal site.

            // tt