How to display a window at the login screen?

  • couchfairy
    Message 1 of 3 , May 6, 2010
      I apologize, I know this is off-topic, but I'm scratching my head on this one... my boss wants me to write a virtual keyboard. Obviously, it would need to be visible at the Windows login screen - which is what has me stumped. Any ideas/suggestions?

      Thanks in advance,
      Burl Rice
      Monterey, TN
    • mmartinsson123
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2010
        --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "couchfairy" <burl_rice@...> wrote:

        > I apologize, I know this is off-topic, but I'm scratching my head on this one... my boss wants me to write a virtual keyboard. Obviously, it would need to be visible at the Windows login screen - which is what has me stumped. Any ideas/suggestions?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Burl Rice
        > Monterey, TN

        Absolutly no chance. For security reason all support for this type of apps wanting to hook into the Windows logon process, are since windows xp sp1 or so no longer supported.

        Maybe look into Windows Stations API or SetWindowsHookEx to hook into or sniff system wide, which are relatively user32.dll APIs. But showing dialogs bevor you have been logged into the system is an abs no go. You can think of why?!?

        Cheers
        Martin
      • Jeff Fitzsimons
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2010
          On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:42 AM, couchfairy <burl_rice@...> wrote:
          > I apologize, I know this is off-topic, but I'm scratching my head on this one... my boss wants me to write a virtual keyboard. Obviously,
          > it would need to be visible at the Windows login screen - which is what has me stumped. Any ideas/suggestions?

          I'm curious about this, not having seen anything on the subject for a few years.

          Perhaps you need to create a Custom Credential Provider?
          <http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowssecurity/thread/557ed105-f4f3-4b61-839b-1710bb9507e0>

          Wacom seems to have an on-screen keyboard for the login prompt. It
          appears to run under Vista. I found it on this page about how to
          remove it:
          <http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/remove-the-on-screen-keyboard-on-the-vista-login-screen/>

          Sorry I don't have more solid information, these are just some links
          of interest from my brief Googling.

          --
          Jeff