Re: Can WTL8.0 be installed on VS2008 ? (the appwizard)

  • Fernando
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
      I edit the setup80.js changing anything referencing 8.0 to 9.0 ( i think i
      changed 3 lines at total ) . then it worked ok.

      "steve.kille" <steve.kille@...> escreveu
      na mensagem news:flbmgb+96fj@......
      > --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "Nenad Stefanovic"
      > <nenad2001@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Right now, App Wizard setup scripts don't work on VS2008. You can
      > make them
      >> work if you change the registry settings to use version 9.0 instead
      > of 8.0.
      >> That will be added to the main WTL code.
      >>
      >> The version of ATL in VS2008 is 9.0.
      >>
      >> Cheers,
      >> Nenad
      >>

      > I also would like to make the 8.0 wizards work in VS2008. Would you
      > happen to know what registry settings need to be changed?
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • kingbing
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
        I've had some problems with the wtl mobile wizard failing to display
        anything at all. The html files and the javascript reference the
        ProjWiz.SDProjWiz2.2 ActiveX control, by ProgId and clsid (D245F352-
        3F45-4516-B1E6-04608DA126CC). vs2008 doesn't seem to ship with this,
        but instead has ProjWiz.SDProjWiz2.3 (5AFCAD52-F3CC-43BB-A605-
        6602EE5BD94A). Changing any reference from one to the other seems to
        fix things.

        I'll try and upload a zip of my changes to this group. It adds a
        setup90.js to AppWiz and AppWizMobile. It includes the change currently
        committed in subversion to enable the secure ATL stuff in ATL9 for
        AppWizMobile, but I haven't done anything about that for AppWiz (it's
        not in svn, either). It also fixes the html and scripts for
        AppWizMobile so that it works on VS2008, and *should* work on VS2005. I
        don't have it installed, so can't verify.

        Cheers
        Matt
      • steve.kille
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 4, 2008
          --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "kingbing" <elvishairdo@...> wrote:

          > I've had some problems with the wtl mobile wizard failing to
          display
          > anything at all. The html files and the javascript reference the
          > ProjWiz.SDProjWiz2.2 ActiveX control, by ProgId and clsid (D245F352-
          > 3F45-4516-B1E6-04608DA126CC). vs2008 doesn't seem to ship with
          this,
          > but instead has ProjWiz.SDProjWiz2.3 (5AFCAD52-F3CC-43BB-A605-
          > 6602EE5BD94A). Changing any reference from one to the other seems
          > fix things.
          >
          > I'll try and upload a zip of my changes to this group. It adds a
          > setup90.js to AppWiz and AppWizMobile. It includes the change
          currently
          > committed in subversion to enable the secure ATL stuff in ATL9 for
          > AppWizMobile, but I haven't done anything about that for AppWiz
          (it's
          > not in svn, either). It also fixes the html and scripts for
          > AppWizMobile so that it works on VS2008, and *should* work on
          VS2005. I
          > don't have it installed, so can't verify.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Matt

          Matt,

          I downloaded the file and just copied setup90.js out of the .zip and
          ran it. The WTL wizard showed up and worked as expected.

          I'm not clear though d
          what changes were made in the mobile wizard but not in the desktop
          version? Are they changes that are scheduled to be included later?
          Are they significant enough that I should try and make these changes
          myself somehow?

          Again, thanks for solution, and any further advise.
        • kingbing
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 4, 2008
            --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "steve.kille" <steve.kille@...> wrote:
            > I'm not clear though d
            > what changes were made in the mobile wizard but not in the desktop
            > version? Are they changes that are scheduled to be included
            later?
            > Are they significant enough that I should try and make these
            changes
            > myself somehow?

            The changes to the mobile wizard files were to support a later
            version of an ActiveX control that gets installed with VS2008 - the
            version currently referenced doesn't get installed. The current code
            in subversion also includes a change that isn't in the released
            version - if you're using VS2008, an ATL define is set to enable use
            of secure functions (I think, I haven't really looked into the
            define). I included this change in my zip file.

            As for the desktop version, the only change I made was the addition
            of the setup90.js. I didn't change any of the other files, which
            means that the wizard generated code doesn't set the secure ATL
            define. But there's nothing stopping you going in and adding it if
            you want it - I think it's more an ATL thing than a WTL thing. If
            you're not sure you need it, then I wouldn't bother with it.

            As for scheduling the changes, I'm not a part of the dev team, and
            haven't put any of this on sourceforge or anything. If Nenad and the
            gang want to include these changes, then feel free - but they're in
            charge of what goes in, and when things get released.

            Cheers
            Matt
          • nushrike
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 1, 2008
              --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "kingbing" <elvishairdo@...> wrote:
              > The changes to the mobile wizard files were to support a later
              > version of an ActiveX control that gets installed with VS2008 - the
              [snip]

              Hey, I tried your .zip. Then when I try to create a new WTL mobile
              project, there's a popup that says "No such interface supported".

              Do I need to get back to a pristine state of VS2008 in order to get
              this working?
            • kingbing
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 5, 2008
                --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "nushrike" <nugundam@...> wrote:

                > --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "kingbing" <elvishairdo@> wrote:
                > > The changes to the mobile wizard files were to support a later
                > > version of an ActiveX control that gets installed with VS2008 - the
                > [snip]
                >
                > Hey, I tried your .zip. Then when I try to create a new WTL mobile
                > project, there's a popup that says "No such interface supported".
                >
                > Do I need to get back to a pristine state of VS2008 in order to get
                > this working?

                Hmmm. Can't say, to be honest. I'd be surprised if reinstalling would
                help, it's more likely my machine has something set up to allow it to
                work that yours doesn't. Is your VS an Express version?
              • nushrike
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
                  --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "kingbing" <elvishairdo@...> wrote:
                  > Hmmm. Can't say, to be honest. I'd be surprised if reinstalling would
                  > help, it's more likely my machine has something set up to allow it to
                  > work that yours doesn't. Is your VS an Express version?

                  I was able to fix it by manually cleaning out the generated files in
                  vcprojects, and correcting the WTLMobile.vsz to use the 9.0 VsWizard
                  engine. Apparently, reinstalling doesn't overwrite existing files.

                  I'm using VS2008 Pro.

                  Thanks!
                • kingbing
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 7, 2008
                    --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "nushrike" <nugundam@...> wrote:

                    > --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "kingbing" <elvishairdo@> wrote:
                    > > Hmmm. Can't say, to be honest. I'd be surprised if reinstalling
                    would
                    > > help, it's more likely my machine has something set up to allow it
                    > > work that yours doesn't. Is your VS an Express version?
                    >
                    > I was able to fix it by manually cleaning out the generated files in
                    > vcprojects, and correcting the WTLMobile.vsz to use the 9.0 VsWizard
                    > engine. Apparently, reinstalling doesn't overwrite existing files.

                    Glad you got it working!
                  • Dick Dievendorff
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 8, 2008
                      I have a WTL 8.0 application that uses a tab view and I use the dialog
                      editor for each of the tab pages. These pages resize using the
                      CDialogResize class.

                      I'd like to replace a rich edit control I have on one of the pages with a
                      splitter that has two rich edit controls. The dialog also has a number of
                      buttons clustered together at the top.

                      The WTL Splitter samples I have found assume that the mainframe hosts the
                      splitter directly. I don't find a splitter in the dialog editor's toolbox.

                      How do I get a splitter of the appropriate size in there?

                      I'm thinking I need some sort of transparent pane (perhaps an invisible
                      group box?) to get the dialogresizing and then create the splitter in that
                      group box.

                      How do you do this?

                      The dialog editor has a "custom control". Is that something I can use for
                      the splitter?

                      Thanks,

                      Dick

                    • Michael Stephenson
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 8, 2008
                        Dick Dievendorff wrote:
                        >The WTL Splitter samples I have found assume that the mainframe hosts the
                        >splitter directly. I don't find a splitter in the dialog editor's toolbox.
                        >How do I get a splitter of the appropriate size in there?

                        Hi Dick,

                        The usual appproach for custom controls on dialogs is to put some control on
                        the dialog, typically a static control, give it the control ID you want your
                        custom control to have, e.g., IDC_SPLITTER, then in OnInitDialog get the
                        rect for the static, destroy it, and create your custom control in it's
                        place.

                        Something like this in OnInitDialog, assuming your static's control ID is
                        IDC_SPLITTER and you have an m_Splitter member variable that is your
                        splitter window:

                        HWND hwndSplit = GetDlgItem(IDC_SPLITTER);
                        CRect rc;
                        ::GetWindowRect(hwndSplit, &rc);
                        ::DestoryWindow(hwndSplit);
                        m_Splitter.Create(m_hWnd, rc);

                        Sometimes you might also want to read the window style and extended style
                        from the control in the dialog editor and create your custom control using
                        those styles. This is typical if, for example, you have a custom control
                        that emulates a built in control so the styles are appropriate and you want
                        to be able to set the styles in the dialog editor rather than in code.

                        The custom control in the dialog editor is for a ground-up custom control
                        that you've created that has a unique window class. You use the custom
                        control from the toolbox and put the window class name of your custom
                        control in the properties for that control in the dialog editor, but you
                        also have to ensure that the window class is registered early in your app
                        before the dialog is created.

                        Hope this helps. Have you ever looked at the WTL For MFC Programmers
                        article on CodeProject on splitter windows (number 7 or 8 in the series if I
                        recall correctly). It's a pretty good intro to splitter windows. There is
                        at least one other article on CodeProject on splitters in WTL that is pretty
                        good.

                        ~Mike
                      • Bjarke Viksøe
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 8, 2008
                          --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@...> wrote:

                          > I have a WTL 8.0 application that uses a tab view and I use the dialog
                          > editor for each of the tab pages. These pages resize using the
                          > CDialogResize class.

                          A long time ago I had the same problem and wrote this:
                          http://www.viksoe.dk/code/splitterbar.htm

                          It was a long time ago, so I'm not entirely sure it works anymore.
                          Using the "static control as host"-trick as mentioned before renders
                          CDialogResize useless, but this is just another WS_CHILD control you
                          put on the dialog between the 2 controls.

                          regards
                          bjarke
                        • Michael Stephenson
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 8, 2008
                            "Using the "static control as host"-trick as mentioned before renders
                            CDialogResize useless."

                            Actually I don't think it does. The dialog resize map is based on control
                            IDs. As long as you replace the static with your new control earlier on in
                            OnInitDialog than you call DlgResize_Init and as long as you make sure to
                            set the control ID of your created window by passing that in to the Create
                            call, then the dialog resize still works. This requires passing the control
                            ID into the Create call as the MenuOrID parameter.

                            As a note, one thing I've done in the past when I'm using CDialogResize and
                            repositioning controls myself after the resize has been initiailized is to
                            get the CDialogResize data array (m_arrData), call RemoveAll() on that
                            array, move my windows, then call DlgResize_Init again. There really should
                            be a CDlgResize_Detach method or something like that built into
                            CDialogResize.

                            _____

                            http://www.viksoe <http://www.viksoe.dk/code/splitterbar.htm>

                          • hhfann@rogers.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 12, 2009
                              --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "kingbing" <elvishairdo@...> wrote:

                              > --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "nushrike" <nugundam@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "kingbing" <elvishairdo@> wrote:
                              > > > Hmmm. Can't say, to be honest. I'd be surprised if reinstalling
                              > would
                              > > > help, it's more likely my machine has something set up to allow it
                              > > > work that yours doesn't. Is your VS an Express version?
                              > >
                              > > I was able to fix it by manually cleaning out the generated files in
                              > > vcprojects, and correcting the WTLMobile.vsz to use the 9.0 VsWizard
                              > > engine. Apparently, reinstalling doesn't overwrite existing files.
                              >
                              > Glad you got it working!

                              I applied all the fixes from VS2008Setup.zip and I got the desktop wizard working. However, the Mobile Application Wizard will fail after clicking the Finish button. The error message is "Cannot access data for the desired file since it is in a zombie state." Then, the error message is "The operation could not be completed. The parameter is incorrect."

                              I checked the directory and all the source files, and the project file is generated. However, the .sln file fails to generate. Has anyone got the Mobile wizard working in Visual Stuido 2008 SP1?

                              Herbert
                            • arnavpoch
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 18, 2009
                                --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "hhfann@..." <hhfann@...> wrote:

                                > I applied all the fixes from VS2008Setup.zip and I got the desktop
                                wizard working. However, the Mobile Application Wizard will fail after
                                clicking the Finish button. The error message is "Cannot access data for
                                the desired file since it is in a zombie state." Then, the error message
                                is "The operation could not be completed. The parameter is incorrect."

                                > I checked the directory and all the source files, and the project file
                                is generated. However, the .sln file fails to generate. Has anyone got
                                the Mobile wizard working in Visual Stuido 2008 SP1?

                                > Herbert

                                Can this
                                http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/2009/03/28/some-vs2005-and-vs2008-w\
                                izards-pop-up-script-error.aspx
                                <http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/2009/03/28/some-vs2005-and-vs2008-\
                                wizards-pop-up-script-error.aspx> be of help?

                                cheers,

                                AR

                              • hhfann@rogers.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 24, 2009
                                  --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "arnavpoch" <ar@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, "hhfann@" <hhfann@> wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > I applied all the fixes from VS2008Setup.zip and I got the desktop
                                  > wizard working. However, the Mobile Application Wizard will fail after
                                  > clicking the Finish button. The error message is "Cannot access data for
                                  > the desired file since it is in a zombie state." Then, the error message
                                  > is "The operation could not be completed. The parameter is incorrect."
                                  > >
                                  > > I checked the directory and all the source files, and the project file
                                  > is generated. However, the .sln file fails to generate. Has anyone got
                                  > the Mobile wizard working in Visual Stuido 2008 SP1?
                                  > >
                                  > > Herbert
                                  > >

                                  > Can this
                                  > http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/2009/03/28/some-vs2005-and-vs2008-w\
                                  > izards-pop-up-script-error.aspx
                                  > <http://blogs.msdn.com/vcblog/archive/2009/03/28/some-vs2005-and-vs2008-\
                                  > wizards-pop-up-script-error.aspx> be of help?
                                  >
                                  > cheers,
                                  >
                                  > AR

                                  Thanks for the links. However, I am still using IE7. I think some code in the wizard is not VS2008 compatible.

                                  Herbert