RE: [wtl] OT: Windows CE / ActiveSync

  • Mateusz Loskot
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2005
      Hello,

      You need to learn RAPI (Remote API) which is also used by ActiveSync.
      So, I'd recommend you to buy
      "Programming Microsoft Windows CE" Second (or later) Edition
      by Douglas Boling

      There is Chapter 11 - Connecting to the Desktop
      where you will find all RAPI details explained.
      Greets

      --

      Mateusz Loskot <mloskot@...>
    • João Paulo Figueira
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        Have a look at RAPI - it allows you to remotely call system functions on the
        device via ActiveSync. To access the address book, you may use the CEDB API
        (also via RAPI) to manipulate the contacts database.

        João Paulo Figueira

        I am wanting to write a sync tool that will sync our home brewed contact
        manager with Windows CE device. The part I need is the comms with the
        device and communication with the device's address book. Any one have
        any ideas where to start?

        Peter

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bjarke Viksøe
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
          --- In wtl@yahoogroups.com, Peter Carlson <peter@h...> wrote:
          > I am wanting to write a sync tool that will sync our home brewed
          contact
          > manager with Windows CE device. The part I need is the comms with
          the
          > device and communication with the device's address book. Any one
          have
          > any ideas where to start?
          >
          > Peter

          If you're looking into creating a native ActiveSync extension, the
          documentation is available on MSDN:
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-
          us/wceactsy/html/ceoriActiveSync.asp

          Here is my personal experiences:
          The ActiveSync (widely known as ActiveStink) API is probably the
          worst COM interface every to come out of Microsoft. It is quite
          buggy still, and absolutely a nightmare to debug (because there is
          way to increase the logging level). Expect hard-boots.
          There is only one sample provided on MSDN. I have not found any
          other reasonable samples to follow. There used to be a simple file
          sync sample, but I guess it had too many bugs. The documentation has
          been upgraded lately so it actually explains some of the flow in the
          engine, but there's still a number of places you'll have to guess
          things. My advise is to try to see if using RAPI (CE Remote API) can
          be used instead. Launch a custom app on the desktop on a dock-event
          (registry setting is available).

          regards,
          bjarke