RE: [wtl] Re: Re: Why wtl? Why not .Net/C#

  • Adelle L. Hartley
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hi Andrew,

      > 2) Server side functionality could be reperesented as a collection of
      > stateless functions (good and classic design) exposed to the
      > outer world.
      > During invocation of such function memory allocation can be performed
      > upfront (in most cases) - one chunk of memory where all
      > object will be
      > placed. Upon exit of the function it is enough to just
      > delete/free this
      > chunk as one block without need to call particular
      > destructors. So server
      > side software could use very simple and fast memory
      > management. In GC world
      > such allocation schema happens automaticly. Allocation there
      > is extremely
      > simple and collection of garbage happens (as a rule) after
      > function exit.
      > (GC is not a must to use such schema . You can implement
      > it by hands.
      > E.g. Apache server uses memory pools for that.
      > Implementation is available also as a standalone package:
      > APR - http://apr.apache.org/)

      Interesting, I'll check it out. I want to allocate thousands of objects
      that I will be disposing of all at once.

      I have experienced GC-related UI-freeze back in 1980's with the Amstrad
      CPC64's implementation of Basic (the Amstrad was a poor cousin to the
      Commodore 64, more popular in the UK, less popular here in Australia, and I
      think unheard of in the US).

      Adelle.