Fw: BarlowFriendz 7.4: Remember The Reichstag...

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 11 4:23 PM
      From: "John Perry Barlow" <barlow@...>
      To: "John Perry Barlow" <barlow@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2001 1:38 PM
      Subject: BarlowFriendz 7.4: Remember The Reichstag...

      Z ----->

    • tneff@bigfoot.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14 8:00 AM
        "John Perry Barlow" <barlow@e...> wrote:
        > Remember that the goal of terrorism is to create increasingly
        > paralytic totalitarianism in the government it attacks. Don't give
        > them the satisfaction.

        The "goal of terrorism" doesn't exist; terrorism is a tool that can
        be used to further many different goals.

        We flatter ourselves that our enemy must be as brilliant as we
        suppose ourselves to be - call this Moriarty syndrome. Learned
        during the Cold War when competing superpower psyops directorates
        duelled to a draw amid grudging mutual admiration, it is now an empty
        husk of assumption.

        Today's "terrorist enemy" is simply hitting us the only way he can.
        We are hated, for whatever reason; we have these pretty things we are
        so proud of; smashing them will wipe the smile off our faces. It
        needn't go much deeper than that, which is precisely what makes it so
        hard to prevent.