Fw: [BB2001DLSU] OT- A USMC pilot's point of view

  • Watkins
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2001
      Here is something I received (forwarded) from my son, who is a Marine. It has a few "crass" comments that could certainly be re-worded in more "PC" way (so let's not argue about those issues, please), but the general point is a good one.

      Despite the old adage "Will Rogers never met a Harrier pilot", this one
      has some interesting observations. Worth a read.
      Forwarded from a Harrier pilot, USMC. His view......

      Dear Americans,

      When I opened my e-mail this morning I had about twenty forwards of the
      article written by Gordon Sinclair, the Canadian who so eloquently
      praised the United States. What most of you do not realize is that this
      commentary was written many years ago. Those of us in the Military
      Service have
      known about it for a long time. Now, Americans are flooding the net with
      it as
      if it were new. It is not. When it was written most Americans didn't
      read
      it, because most Americans did not care. The tragedy that befell all of
      us
      on September 11th shocked America.

      America no longer feels safe. Many of you have said, "The government
      should have known! 30 Billion Dollars is spent on intelligence! What
      about the
      Military!?" Just a reminder America, you voted our government into
      office.
      For years you allowed some dishonest politicians and twisted television
      media
      personalities to shape your ideas about the defense of our nation.
      Why?
      Because most Americans were too lazy to look beyond the three minute
      sound-bites on the evening news. Here's a news flash not being
      broadcast
      much, "On September 11th, America had the exact level of protection,
      both militarily and intelligence, that it was willing to pay for".

      Only yesterday the Congress and the Senate approved 40 BILLION dollars
      as a "Down Payment" to fight this War. A short time ago, our politicians
      said
      a 100 Million dollar increase for the Navy budget was substantial. In
      that
      same bill they ordered the Navy to conduct an 85 Million Dollar Study
      on...guess what America!? Missiles Defense?! No. Desperately needed
      parts for our
      fighter aircraft? Wrong again. Training for Navy Seals? Nah uh. They
      wanted Breast Cancer research. Yes, America, your elected officials
      decided
      that the US Navy needed more mammograms and less missiles. Was this an
      under the
      table sneaky move? No, it was right out in the open. The Secretary of
      Defense
      and the Secretary of the Navy both opposed it. A New York Senatorial
      Candidate (Yes, she's the one) was enraged that the Military would be so
      sexist and
      irresponsible to the needs of civilians and wanted the Navy to give the
      money back immediately! But the media paid it little mind. So, America
      paid
      little attention.
      Did any one ever watch CSPAN? Particularly when the Heads of our Armed
      Services essentially begged OUR representatives to give the Military
      more money to fight terrorism and maintain a strong defense? Did you see
      the
      debates by the Heads of the Intelligence Services that terrorism was the
      new threat? They told the committees of Congress that the CIA, the FBI,
      and
      the Service did not have the money to build the necessary intelligence
      networks in the areas where terrorists were being harbored. They warned
      again and
      again that there was clear and present danger within America's borders.
      America must have been watching one of the other 114 satellite channels.

      The Military said: "We need more money to maintain military readiness
      and
      Combat Training."
      America Answered : "What the Military needs is Sensitivity Training!
      You're
      all sexist homophobes! I saw it on 60 Minutes!" The Military said: "We
      need money to build ships, planes, tanks, and improve our technology.
      America
      still has credible threats throughout the world. Terrorism will come to
      America's doorstep." America Answered: "You're all part of a vast
      right-wing conspiracy. There is no more Soviet Threat! My Senator told
      me so!
      He/She says we do not need such a big military! You're dinosaurs trying
      to hold
      onto the Cold War! We need Social Programs!"
      The Military said: "We need to recruit more Americans into the military.
      We need to increase our force."
      America Answered: "You're not taking my kids! We're going to shut down
      the ROTC programs at our high schools and universities, because you
      discriminate against alternative lifestyles! ROTC teaches CHILDREN
      (under 21) how to
      shoot guns! You just want another Columbine! Rosie and Oprah say so!"
      The Military said: "We can't keep interfering in the civil wars of small
      insignificant countries. It wastes our time, expends our resources,
      decreases training, and demoralizes our troops. The men and women of the
      United
      States are Warriors trying to defend OUR nation, we are not the third
      world's
      police force."
      America Answered: "You heartless bastards! Can't you see the tear in the
      eye of that starving child!! There are flies on her face for Christ's
      Sake!?
      Get Moving! Jesse Jackson on CNN said that is what we pay you for!"
      The Military Asked: "Why isn't America enraged over the terrorist attack
      on the USS COLE that killed seventeen AMERICAN Sailors? How about the
      Air
      Force barracks bombed in Saudi Arabia? The embassy staffs in Africa? The
      Soldiers mutilated and dragged through the streets in Somalia?"
      America Answered: "We don't have time right now! We're busy defending
      Animal Rights! Our schools are handing out automatic weapons! The
      federal
      government is discriminating against cross-dressing Bolivian
      hermaphrodites! The
      police are all members of the Ku Klux Klan! The lack of Ozone is ruining
      my
      tan! If they cut deeper into Food Stamps those poor women will have to
      move down
      to Size 18/20 Channel dresses! AND THE WORST! Corporations are raising
      the
      prices of there products sooo high I might not be able to afford the
      multi-disc DVD Player for my 36'" digital ready TV! Besides, YOU GUYS
      ARE PAID TO DIE!
      So, America, while you sit on your couch or around your office coffee
      pots and ask, "Why did those terrorists kill innocent civilians? Why
      didn't
      they go after the Military?"
      Remember this America: They already had but America didn't care. These
      Terrorists realized that they needed to kill American Civilians, and
      lots of them, before they could have their desired reaction from the
      people of
      this country. Well, now they have it.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      We also have a group for those of us who are looking for a forum where EVERYTHING is considered 'ON TOPIC' - feel free to visit us at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DLSU-totally-OT