"Why should I throw bread to the dogs when the children are starving?"

  • Filipe Santos
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2001
      Actualy the story when Jesus says: "Why should I throw bread to the dogs
      when the children are starving." is one of my favorites in the Bible (if not
      the most favorite), although I may have not made the correct interpretation
      of it.
      Here is how I interpreted it (I hope I remember it well and make no
      mistake):

      There was a woman who's daughter was possessed by the devil. She asked Jesus
      help, but He seem not to listen her. After some begging, Jesus told her that
      sentence "Why should I throw bread to the dogs when the children are
      starving.".
      This really looks like an uninterested,cold-hearted Jesus, which was saying
      something like "Your people do not belong to my table, you are not seen as
      sons, who deserve the best food. You are as dogs."
      But the woman, who probably loved her daughter the most and didn't mind
      about being humiliated that way said something like: "You are right, but
      even the dogs eat the small pieces of bread that fall from the son's
      tables". Which, in my opinion, meant something like "Your words/wisdom/peace
      (=bread) is often not taken good care by your sons. We, the dogs, the lesser
      children, take every bit of it, that is comes spoiled from your sons
      tables.".

      I love this story, because in my opinion, speaks about a woman who didn't
      mind being a lesser person, humiliated, by a God that she believed.

      Sometimes I dream belonging to a Cristian religion that had the philosophy
      of this woman: Maibye we shouldn't consider ourselves as "sons of God". This
      makes us proud, thinking that we can do everything in His name. Instead, we
      should fell lesser persons, very apparted to God, but, like the hunger dogs,
      love (and starved) every word of Him.

      If people had this kind of approach to God, probably would not have been
      terrorist attacks.

      Oh, yes: and for thouse of you who don't know the end of the story: Jesus
      was "devastated" with this answer (devastated is probably not the best word,
      but my english is not very good - let's says that this was the best answer
      that that woman could give Him). He told her to go home, her daughter was
      already healed. And so it was.